For Public Dissemination
U.S. MISSION GERMANY
Vacancy Number: BERLIN-2018-131-R
Date: October 11, 2018
|Position Title||Accounting Technician|
|Location||U.S. Embassy Berlin / Financial Management Center|
|Open To||U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs); Eligible Family Members (EFMs); or Declared Members of Household (MOH) – All Agencies|
|Salary and Grade NOR||
Not Ordinarily Resident (NOR)
US$ 36,218 per year starting salary (Base Salary Scale)
Candidate may be hired on a developmental level, i.e. one or more pay grades below the full performance level in order to receive training and to acquire knowledge of U.S. Government-specific regulations and operating procedures
|Work Schedule||Full-time: 40 hours|
|Application Period||From October 11, 2018 – open until filled. (First cutoff date October 21, 2018)|
|Security Clearance Qualification Requirement||Must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust security certification. All selected applicants will be required to pass medical and security certifications as they apply.|
|Duration of Appointment||This is a Limited Appointment – Family Member Appointment (FMA) not to exceed 5 years from date of hire; one year from date of hire when hired on a PSA.|
The U.S. Embassy Berlin is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Accounting Technician in the Financial Management Center. Filling of position is subject to availability of funds.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
(A copy of the complete position description listing all duties and responsibilities is available upon request. Send your request to email@example.com with identification of the above vacancy number.)
Supervisory Position: No
The Accounting Technician processes all kind of funding requests submitted by Embassy sections and constituent posts by verifying their adequacy and legality and determining the appropriate funding source and verifying the availability of funding. Apart from that, s/he prepares financial plans based on prior year, budgeted, actual and projected spending. S/he on a regular basis monitors the unliquidated obligations to help to ensure a proper financial statement. The incumbent also provides management advisory services pertaining to the status of funds and/or obligations directly to the FMC management and other management staff at Embassy Berlin as well as the constituent posts. Position reports directly to the Senior Financial Management Analyst N53031.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EVALUATIONS
Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in determination that the applicant is not qualified.
EDUCATION: Two years of postsecondary education in the field of accounting are required.
EXPERIENCE: Two years of performing progressively more responsible work in the area of accounting, which is technical or administrative in nature where emphasis is placed on analytical, judgmental and expository abilities, i.e. work experience in an accounts/bookkeeping department of an organization or a company; or work experience in an office environment that entailed a great amount of accounting work (accounts payable and accounts receivable).
LANGUAGE: English level III (good working knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing is required.
The Human Resources Office will conduct standard language assessment tests as part of the selection process. Testing is conducted equitably and is administered in the same way to all applicants for the particular recruitment.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- Foreign Service (FS) on Leave Without Pay (LWOP) and Civil Service (CS) with re-employment rights**
*IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written documentation from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter must be on letterhead of the appropriate ,military branch of service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date: and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process. Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- Additional Selection Criteria:
- The U.S. Mission will consider the following when determining successful candidacy: nepotism, conflicts of interest, budget, and residency status.
- Locally Employed Staff (LE Staff) of the U.S. Mission Germany having served less than 12 months in their current position are not eligible to apply.
- Current Locally Employed Staff (LE Staff) with an overall summary rating of ‘Needs Improvement’ or ‘Unsatisfactory’ on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first ninety (90) calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- How To Apply: Applicants for this position must submit their application and pertinent supporting documentation by the closing date as shown on the vacancy announcement: https://de.usembassy.gov/jobs/application-process/
Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered. Failure to do so will result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Form DS-174, Universal Application for Employment (UAE), available on the internet: DS-174.
- Cover Letter
- Licenses and certifications (e.g. Nurse license, etc.)
Applicants are encouraged to submit additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. reference letters, transcripts, copies of degrees earned, etc.) with the application.
Application language is English, i.e. application for employment, CV or resume should be in English. Certificates, awards or degrees in English or German do not need to be translated.
Note that the U.S. Mission does not refund travel expenses incurred by the interviewee.
For a complete list of terms such as US citizen Eligible Family Member (USEFM), Eligible Family Member (EFM), Member of Household (MOH), and their definitions, go to the “definitions list” on the website https://de.usembassy.gov/jobs/definitions/.
The U.S. Mission in Germany provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.
The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliations. Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.