REPLACING A LIMITED VALIDITY PASSPORT
If you have received a limited validity passport and wish to replace it with a full validity passport within one year of its issuance at no charge, and you are currently in Germany, please mail the following items to the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt:
- A completed Form DS-5504, “U.S. Passport Re-Application Form,” which should be filled out online (https://pptform.state.gov/) and printed. Please follow the instructions carefully;
- One passport photograph not more than 6 months old that conforms to the photograph criteria listed in the instructions on Form DS-5504;
- Your limited-validity passport;
- The handout you received along with your passport (if any); and
- An envelope DIN C5 in size with a self-addressed DHL ExpressEasy shipping label affixed to it.
The application and documents listed above should be mailed to:
U.S. Consulate General
Attn: Passport & Citizenship Section
Giessener Str. 30
60435 Frankfurt am Main
- If you wait longer than one year from the issuance date of your limited-validity passport to apply for a replacement passport, you will need to pay all passport fees in effect at that time for the new passport, and may need to appear in person. We strongly urge that you replace this passport as soon as possible in order to take advantage of the no-charge replacement program and to ensure that you have a full-validity passport in your possession.
- If you will be applying for the replacement passport outside of Germany, do not mail your application to the Frankfurt Consulate. Please visit the Department of State website for exact instructions on how to submit your completed application.