An official website of the United States government

Birth Abroad and Eligibility for U.S. Citizenship
March 31, 2021

As a U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Embassy or a U.S. Consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to or acquisition of U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), Form FS-240. This form is evidence of U.S. citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). CRBA applications (Form DS-2029) must be made before the child’s 18th birthday.

The CRBA is not a travel document and if you are planning to travel to the United States, your child must enter (and exit) the United States on a U.S. passport.

Read more about the specifics on how your child can acquire U.S. Citizenship at birth.

If you believe that your child has a claim to U.S. citizenship, follow these instructions to apply for a CRBA and your child’s first passport.

Please note that you must also apply for your child’s Social Security number through the Federal Benefits Unit. For more information contact the Federal Benefits Unit in Frankfurt by visiting their website or emailing directly to FBU.Frankfurt@ssa.gov.