My Spouse/Partner is Not a Citizen of a Visa Waiver Country. Since I am, Can my Spouse/Partner Travel Visa Free as my Derivative?

Each person travelling must qualify for either the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) or for the appropriate visa, based on their own situation. It is not possible to derive status for visa free travel, and each person travelling must be in possession of a valid ESTA registration and meet all the requirements to travel under the VWP. Information on VWP is available at:

If you don’t meet the requirements to travel visa free, you will need the appropriate visa.  Information about the different types of visa and how to apply, is available from the Embassy website.