Position Title Volunteer National Student Internship – Trade & Investment Section
Location: U.S. Embassy Berlin
Open To: German & EU Nationals, Nationals of EFTA Member States, U.S. Citizens
Salary: Unpaid – Gratuitous Service
Work Hours Schedule: to be determined on individual basis
Opening Date: continuous
Closing Date: Until filled
Security Requirement: non-sensitive
The U.S. Embassy Berlin is seeking a Volunteer National Student Intern for the Trade & Investment Section of the U.S. Commercial Service ( www.trade.gov/germany )
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
The purpose of this internship is to offer students the opportunity to work in the U.S Embassy’s Trade & Investment Section for up to three months. The U.S. Commercial Service is the trade promotion arm of the U.S. Department of Commerce’s International Trade Administration. Our office analyzes information on the German market, facilitates contacts with German businesses, promotes U.S. products in Germany and the European marketplace, and advocates for U.S. business interests. We assist trade missions to Germany and provide logistical support to U.S. companies holding product launches and exhibitions.
A summary of assigned projects and/or duties during an internship include: Collecting and analyzing information for market research reports for trade delegations and/or American companies on entry or expansion into Germany; including potential business partners, trade data, and in country promotions. Assisting with our consulting services that help U.S. companies find partners and distributors in Germany. Participation in trade fairs (mailings, individual counseling, attending and meeting U.S./Foreign clients). Advise American and German companies in diverse trade issues.
· Passing the US government background check (every intern has to give detailed personal information for a security check)
· Enrollment at a university or institute of higher education
· Fluency of German and English
· Availability for up 3 months
· Good communication and computer skills
· Eligibility Requirements: The U.S. Mission in Germany will accept applications from U.S. and non-U.S. citizen students for this internship program. The purpose of the Volunteer National Student Intern Program is to offer students enrolled in a university/higher institute of learning the challenge of working in a foreign affairs field.
· Application language is English. Certificates, awards or degrees in English or German do not need to be translated.
· Applicants must submit a complete application (cover letter, resume, and proof of enrolment in an educational institution).
· The U.S. Mission in Germany does not refund travel expenses incurred by the interviewee.
· The internship is a voluntary service. There are no benefits attached to this internship and no compensation, nor any future employment rights.
· Students selected must pass a background check and receive a clearance from the Embassy before commencement of the internship. The security check can take up to three months and may require a personal interview with our security department
How To Apply: Interested applicants for the Volunteer National Student Internship Program in Berlin must submit their application and pertinent supporting documentation via email to: Mathias.Koeckeritz@trade.gov
CLOSING DATE FOR THIS POSITION: Open until Filled
The U.S. Mission in Germany provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.
The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliations. Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.