U.S. Citizen Services

The Consulate General in Frankfurt provides a full range of services for American Citizens in the states of Hesse, Baden-Württemberg, North Rhine-Westphalia, Rhineland-Palatinate, and Saarland.

Click here for information on how COVID-19 restrictions are impacting our services.

If you are dealing with an emergency situation (hospitalization, arrest, death, etc.) involving a U.S. citizen in the states of Hesse, Baden-Württemberg, North Rhine-Westphalia, Rhineland-Palatinate, and Saarland. please call (069) 7535-0 from within Germany or 01149-69-7535-0 from the United States. Someone will respond to your call 24 hours a day.

Read more about the following topics:

NOTE:  Lost, stolen, or expired passports can only be replaced during normal business hours, and do not constitute after hours emergencies.

Please go to our passport page for more information how to apply for a book and/or a card.

Adult Passport Renewal Applicants, eligible to use Form DS-82, are strongly urged to apply via mail. If you cannot pay via mail due to payment issues and need to visit the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt to drop off your DS- 82, you must do so on a walk-in basis every Tuesday and Thursday from 13:00-14:00, except on German and American Holidays. We will not be able to serve you on walk-in days if you require any service other than Form DS-82.

 In person passport services may be paid for using cash in U.S. Dollars or Euros,or with credit card.No EC cards are accepted.

Emergency Passport Appointments: Email us the reason of your emergency travel at frankfurtpassports@state.govafter a regular appointment has been scheduled.

DoD ID Card Holders: All Services are arranged by your Military Passport Agent. For information, please click HERE.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (under age 18) – by appointment only

For faster service, we encourage you to submit an electronic application. To qualify, your child must have been born in GERMANY. For detailed information please click HERE

Claims to U.S. Citizenship (over age 18) – by appointment only

If you believe you have a claim to U.S. citizenship through one or both parents, and are over the age of 18, please click HERE for further information.

If you wish to renounce your U.S. citizenship, click here to read more about the process and how to request an appointment.

This service is available to both U.S. and foreign citizens.

Information on services provided and appointment scheduling is available here. 

Note: Consular employees cannot function as witnesses; please bring any required witnesses to your appointment. Please indicate the names of the witnesses you will bring when making your appointment. 

For absentee voting information for U.S. citizens abroad, please click HERE.

Please note:  All Social Security Administration beneficiaries and applicants living in Germany must direct all questions regarding Social Security to the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) at the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt.  The most efficient method of reaching the FBU in Frankfurt is by using one of the Online Contact Forms. More information can be found on the SSA Federal Benefits Unit website.

The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt is looking for individuals interested in participating in the newly formed American Liaison Network.

Last Update: April 6, 2021