U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

USCIS permanently closed its field office in Frankfurt, Germany, on Jan. 31, 2020. The last day the office accepted Forms I-130, Forms I-360, and Forms I-131A was Oct. 31, 2019. The last day the office was open to the public was Dec. 20, 2019. The U.S. Consulate in Frankfurt will assume responsibility for certain limited services previously provided by USCIS to individuals residing in Germany (see table below).

A lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States is required to present a valid Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card, if seeking readmission to the U.S. after a temporary absence of less than one year.

What if I remained outside of the U.S. for more than a year?

USCIS cannot issue a transportation letter to you if you have been outside the U.S. for more than 364 days without a Reentry Permit – Form I-131 (which permits you to stay outside the U.S. for up to 2 years).  You will need to either begin the process again by filing a new I-130 or you may inquire about a returning resident visa the Department of State Immigrant Visa Unit.  If you wish to return to the United States temporarily, see the Department of State’s NonImmigrant Visa information page or ESTA for the Visa Free Travel.

You must request an appointment at a Mission Germany Consular Section.

I am a Legal permanent resident and had a baby while outside the United States. How do I bring my child to the U.S.?

You must request an appointment at a Mission Germany Consular Section. You and your baby must appear in person to obtain the transportation letter.

What if I remained outside of the U.S. for more than a year?

If you have been continuously outside of the U.S. for a period of one year and are not in possession of a Reentry Permit – Form I-131, which permits you to stay outside the U.S. for up to 2 years, the Consular Section cannot issue a baby transportation letter .

What if my Permanent Resident Card or Conditional Residential Card has Expired?

Most Permanent Resident Cards, commonly known as Green Cards (Form I-551), currently in circulation, have an expiration date and are required to be renewed every ten years.  This enables the Department of Homeland Security to improve the quality of the card and make it less susceptible to fraud.

  • Can I travel with a Green Card that has expired?
    Please check with CBP for information on travelling with an expired Permanent Resident Card or expired Conditional Residential Card.
  • How do I renew my permanent resident card?
    Once you return to the United States, you must renew your expiring/expired Permanent Resident Card by filing USCIS Form I-90, in order to maintain acceptable evidence of your permanent resident status.  This form must be filed in the United States and you will be instructed to attend a biometrics appointment at an Application Support Center in the United States.
  • What if I have stayed outside of the United States for more than one year?
    Please note that if you have been outside the U.S. for more than 364 days without a Reentry Permit – Form I-131, which permits you to stay outside the U.S. for 2 years, your permanent resident status is considered abandoned.  You may apply for a returning resident visa. Information regarding that process is available from the Department of State at

Exception for Military and U.S. Government Employees

The one-year time limitation does not apply to the spouse or child of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States, or of a civilian employee of the U.S. Government stationed abroad pursuant to official orders. In this case, the spouse or child must present the permanent resident card mentioned above, not have relinquished residence, and be preceding or accompanying the member or employee, or be following to join the member or employee in the United States within four months of the return of the member or employee. In order to facilitate boarding, Customs and Border Protection recommends the issuance of a Transportation Letter.  Information on Transportation Letters is available at HERE.

How to file an I-130 petition:

U.S. citizens residing in Germany must file the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, by mail with the USCIS Dallas Lockbox facility. Please visit USCIS website for detail.

Exceptions for certain U.S. military service members:

Consular officers at the U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt may accept filing of the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, filed by qualified U.S. military service members for any immediate relative case only when an active duty military service member is stationed permanently at a military base in Germany.  This exception does not apply to service members assigned to non-military bases, such as embassies or civilian institutions, to service members on temporary duty orders, or retired service members. For detailed information please see our web page for Military Families under Immigrant Visa.

“Exceptional Situations”:

U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt may accept filing of the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, from petitioners who believe they have exceptional situations that would merit an exception from filing by mail to the USCIS Dallas Lockbox.

USCIS published guidance (PDF 60KB) on circumstances that may qualify as exceptional.

If you believe that your situation merits an exception, please email the Immigrant Visa Unit to request an exception and explain your circumstances in detail. If your request to file an I-130 petition with U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt is not authorized by USCIS, then you must file the petition with the USCIS Dallas Lockbox.

Beginning July 1, 2019 USCIS will no longer accept Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status, at international field offices by mail or in person.

What You Need to Know
Individuals who wish to voluntarily record abandonment of their lawful permanent resident (LPR) status must submit Form I-407 via mail to:

USCIS Eastern Forms Center
Attn: I-407 unit
124 Leroy Road
PO Box 567
Williston, VT 05495

We anticipate that processing times at the Eastern Forms Center, from receipt to completion, will be within 60 days, which does not include mailing time to or from abroad.

In very rare circumstances, a U.S. embassy, U.S. consulate, or USCIS international field office may allow an individual to submit a Form I-407 in person if he/she needs immediate proof that he/she has abandoned LPR status. The most common need for an expedited application is to apply for an A or G visa. Individuals may also submit Form I-407 to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer at a U.S. port of entry.

USCIS is shifting workload to process Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status, domestically. U.S. embassies and consulates previously stopped accepting Form I-407. Currently, individuals who are outside of the U.S. and wish to record abandonment of their LPR status can submit the Form I-407 in person or by mail with an international field office.

Related Information: For more information, please view the web alert.

The application for issuance of a Reentry Permit, Form I-131, must be filed while the respective applicant is physically in the United States and must be submitted prior to departure from the United States. Form I-131, with supporting documentation and fee, must be mailed to the following address:

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
Nebraska Service Center
P.O. Box 87131
Lincoln, NE 68501-7131

Note: Generally, an applicant for a travel document must also complete biometrics capture at an Application Support Center (ASC) prior to departure from the United States. Failure to do so may cause the applicant to lose permission to reenter the country and lead to the denial of any other applications pending.

After filing an application for a Reentry Permit in the US, you may have it mailed to a USCIS Office overseas or the Consular Section at a US Embassy or Consulate. If you are notified that your Reentry Permit is available at the USCIS Frankfurt District Office, please make an InfoPass appointment to pick it up.

Reentry Permits are valid for two years from issuance and cannot be extended or revalidated. Permanent Resident Cards cannot be extended or reissued outside the United States. Failure to return to the United Stateswithin the validity of either of these residency documents may jeopardize permanent residence status.

Instructions on how to obtain or replace a Reentry Permit are found under Emergency Travel.

What if I have been outside the United States for longer than 12 months?

Persons who have remained outside the United States for more than one year without a valid Reentry Permit, or beyond the validity of a Reentry Permit, may be eligible to apply for returning resident status with the Department of State Immigrant Visa Section at the U.S. Consulate here in Frankfurt.  If you do not qualify for a returning resident visa you must re-immigrate.

The Consular Section Frankfurt takes fingerprints for persons who are:

  • Applicants for Expedited Naturalization residing overseas who qualify under Section 319(b) INA.
  • Prospective adoptive parents who are filing Form I-600 or I-600A .

Note: Active duty members of the military or their spouses who are applicants for Naturalization need to contact their Base POC to be fringerprinted.

To make an appointment contact the Consular Section.

In addition to the naturalization process, the United States recognizes the U.S. citizenship of individuals according to two fundamental principles: jus soli, or right of birthplace, and jus sanguinis, or right of blood.

The 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution guarantees citizenship at birth to almost all individuals born in the United States or in U.S. jurisdictions, according to the principle of jus soli. Certain individuals born in the United States, such as children of foreign heads of state or children of foreign diplomats, do not obtain U.S. citizenship under jus soli.

Certain individuals born outside of the United States are born citizens because of their parents, according to the principle of jus sanguinis, which holds that the country of citizenship of a child is the same as that of his/her parents. The U.S. Congress is responsible for enacting laws that determine how citizenship is conveyed by a U.S. citizen parent or parents according to the principle of jus sanguinis. These laws are contained in the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Naturalization Of Children Who Regularly Reside Outside The United States (Form N-600K)

Certain children who regularly reside outside the US may be eligible for citizenship under Section 322 of the INA. Form N-600K may be filed by:

  • A US citizen parent seeking citizenship on behalf of a minor adopted or biological child under section 322 of the INA (providing for citizenship through an application process for biological and adopted children who regularly reside outside of the US and meet certain conditions while under age 18), or
  • If a US citizen parent of a child who otherwise meets the eligibility requirements of INA 322 has died, a US citizen grandparent or a US legal guardian can file the application at any time within five years of the US citizen parent’s death.
  • If the child’s citizen parent has not lived in the United States for at least 5 years, 2 of which were after that parent’s 14th birthday, the citizen parent currently has a parent (child’s grandparent) who:
  •  Is also a US citizen, and
  •  Lived in the United States for 5 years, at least 2 of which were after the citizen grandparent’s 14th birthday, and
  •  May be living or deceased at the time of the adjudication of the application and the taking of the Oath.

There are further requirements for eligibility; see the N-600K Form for more information.

Form N-600K must be filed with one of the USCIS offices in the United States.

For more information, please see the USCIS website page on “Citizenship of Children“.

In addition, the U.S. Department of State’s web pages on “Citizenship and Nationality” provides guidance on some citizenship issues including information on dual nationality, documentary evidence required to establish a citizenship claim, and renunciation of U.S. citizenship.

U.S. citizens contemplating an international adoption should become familiar with the information provided on our website at Information is also available on the Department of State website on International Adoptions.

If you are adopting from a Hague country, then you will have to file form I-800 or I-800A with USCIS in the United States.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services at the U.S. Embassy in Frankfurt accepts I-600A petitions by mail or at InfoPass appointments from U.S. citizens who reside in our jurisdiction. Our jurisdiction includes Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, and Belgium.

 I-600 petitions are normally filed at Consular Posts where the respective child resides. In certain situations, the petition will be filed in another office. Please contact USCIS, the Immigrant Visa issuing post, or the adoption agency for more information.


Form I-600A
Form I-600

Supporting Documentation To Submit With Your Petition

Very Important – Do not send original documents with the petition! Photocopies are acceptable.

  • Official Translations: Any supporting documentation that you provide that is in a language other than English must be accompanied by a complete English translation. The translation must be completed by an independent party. The party providing the translation must note that his/her work is accurate and that he/she is competent to translate. The full name of the translator, address and contact information is also required.

  • Proof of United States Citizenship: Photocopies of your biographical page from your and your spouse’s (if married) U.S. passports are sufficient. You may also provide your and your spouse’s (if married) state issued birth certificate or naturalization certificate. A hospital birth certificate or military ID card is not acceptable.

  • Marriage Certificate: Provide a marriage certificate issued by a public authority to show that a public record exists of the marriage between you and your spouse (if applicable).

  • Evidence of Termination of All Prior Marriage(s): Provide a death certificate, record of annulment, or divorce decree (absolute or final) issued by a public authority to show that a public record exists of the death or of the termination of all prior marriage(s) for both you and your spouse.

  • Record of Name Change: If either you or your spouse is using a name other than that shown on the relevant documents, you must provide legal documentation that effected the change; e.g., marriage certificate, adoption decree, court order or Deed Poll.

  • Fingerprint Cards (FD-258): Two (2) fingerprint cards ARE required of all adults (age 18 or over) residing in the household. Please make an appointment through InfoPass. If you are in the U.S. military, you may have your fingerprints taken by an authorized U.S. military authority. See also the section on fingerprinting on the website.

  • Home Study: The Home Study should be submitted with the petition, However, if the Home Study is not submitted when the I-600A is filed, it must be submitted within one year of the filing of the advanced processing petition, or the petition will be denied.

  • Some specific requirements on the Home Study:

  • Copies: Only one copy of the Home Study is required.

  • Age of Home Study: The Home Study, or the most recent update to the Home Study, must not be more than six months old at the time the Home Study is submitted.

  • Checking Available Child Abuse Registries: These checks must come from both the United States and the parents’ country of residence as appropriate, as most prospective adoptive parents have lived in both countries.

  • Home Study Preparer’s Certification and Statement of Authority to conduct home studies: The Home Study must include a statement in which the home study preparer certifies that he or she is licensed or otherwise authorized by the state of the orphan’s proposed residence to research and prepare home studies.

  • Review of the Home Study: If prospective parents reside abroad, an appropriate public or private adoption agency licensed, or otherwise authorized, by any State in the United States to place children for adoption, must review and favorably recommend the home study before it is submitted to the service. The United States adoption agency must also provide a copy of their license.

Applications for Refugee Travel Documents may be filed at the Rome District Office by mail or in person at an InfoPass appointment if the applicant:

  • Was admitted to the US as a refugee or asylee,
  • Departed the US without having applied for a Refugee Travel Document, and
  • Has not yet been outside the US for more than one year

In order to approve a Refugee Travel Document application, there must be sufficient time to process and deliver the document so that the applicant can travel back to the United States before the one-year deadline.  In urgent or compelling circumstances, or when there is insufficient time to process and issue the document, USCIS may request that the Field Office or US Embassy/Consulate with jurisdiction over the applicant’s residence issue a Boarding/Transportation Letter in lieu of a Refugee Travel Document.

Filing An Application For Refugee Travel Documents

Please read the instruction pages attached to the petition carefully and complete all appropriate sections of the form.
You may download and use the following instructions to assist with the filing of your I-131:

Filing Fee

Fee amounts for applications and petitions are listed on our Forms, Fees and Filing Locations Chart. The fees for all applications and petitions submitted to this office must be paid:

  • In cash with either U.S. dollars or Euro only if the application is filed in person at the U.S. Embassy in Rome; or
  • By a cashier’s check, money order, or international bank draft, made payable in U.S. Dollars to the U.S. Embassy in Rome, issued by any bank with a U.S. affiliation or by a U.S. military Post Office facility
  • Personal checks are not accepted


The United States does not grant asylum in its diplomatic premises abroad. Under U.S. law, the United States grants asylum only to aliens who are physically present in the United States.

U.S. Refugee Program

To be eligible for consideration under the U.S. Refugee program, an applicant must meet the definition of a refugee: a person outside the United States who has been persecuted or has a well-founded fear of persecution based on race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion. In addition, he or she must be able to establish that he or she is not already firmly resettled in a foreign country and must fall within certain refugee processing priorities.

Refugee Processing

The Frankfurt Office does not accept refugee resettlement applications directly. Additional Information: For more information please see the “Asylum” and “Refugees” webpages on the USCIS website.