An official website of the United States government

How to File a Claim to U.S. Citizenship over the age of 18
July 27, 2018

Children born abroad to U.S. citizen(s) may be entitled to U.S. citizenship if the U.S. citizen parent meets the transmission requirements under U.S. law.  The information below will help you complete your or your child’s application.

The table below lists everything you need to file a claim to U.S. citizenship.

What to bring with you to your appointment:
Applicant’s local birth certificate (original or notarized copy)
  • German Abstammungsurkunde, or
  • Geburtenregister
Evidence of parent U.S. citizenship and identity
  • U.S. passport, or
  • Original U.S. birth certificate with a filing date (or certified copy), or
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad , or
  • Certificate of Naturalization
Evidence of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States before child’s birth (Active military service or military dependent time abroad counts towards time spent in the U.S.)

  • For children born prior to November 14, 1986: 10 years of physical presence in the U.S., two of which after the age of 14 prior to the child’s birth.
  • For children born after November 14, 1986: 5 years of physical presence in the U.S., two of which after the age of 14 prior to the child’s birth.
Any combination of the below:

  • High school and/or college transcripts
  • Vaccination records
  • Employment records (W2, letters from employers, company records)
  • Tax documents
  • DD-214 Separation Statement for U.S. former military members, available at:

National Personnel Records Center
Attn: AFN, Room 360
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138-1002

For applicants born out of wedlock to an U.S. citizen father, evidence of blood relationship
  • German Vaterschaftsanerkennungsurkunde (Father’s acknowledgement of paternity with the German authorities), and
  • Affidavit of Parentage (form DS-5507 available at http://eforms.state.gov)
For applicants whose parents were married at the time of birth, evidence of marriage
  • Original marriage certificate issued by local, state, or national government authorities
  • Please bring certified translations if the decrees are not in English or German
For applicants whose parents divorced or passed away, evidence of divorce or death
  • Divorce decree or death certificate
  • Please bring certified translations if the decrees are not in English or German
Photo I.D. for adult applicants Foreign passport or I.D. card (e.g., Ausweiss)
Passport photo
  • Provide one passport photo.
  • 2in x 2in (5cm x 5cm) set against a white background.
  • No glasses or head gear permitted on passport photos.
  • For complete instructions, here
Application Passport fee of $145.00

Card fee of $30

  • Cash (U.S. dollars or euros)
  • Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover
  • International money order in the exact amount
Completed application form Form DS-11 available  here
 You will need to make an appointment with the Federal Benefits Unit in Frankfurt to apply for your child’s SSN. Please click here to learn about federal benefits including Social Security.  Since you probably  never been issued a SSN, please print out and include this affidavit it with your passport application
Return pre-paid DHL label and  envelope You must provide a pre-paid return mailing envelope which we will use to return your U.S. passport/ card. You can purchase the DHL label online only Express Easy shipping label. (choose “Expressversand”) attached to a non-padded A5 or C5 size envelope using your own email address for the “Absender”.  Other commercial couriers and “Einschreiben” are not accepted.
Photocopies Please bring all necessary original documents and one photocopy of each original document to your appointment.
Follow these instructions to make an online passport appointment.
  • Select “Make Appointment”
  • Select “Passport service other than adding pages”
  • Then select a date and time. One passport appointment for each person.
  • Please type your entire name in the box that says,  “Applicant’s Surname.”
  • Please type “FIRST TIMER” in the box where it says, “Applicants Given Name”.
  • If you are affiliated with DoD or fall under SOFA, you must visit your passport agent on base.
  • Click here to make an online appointment.