TO APPLY FOR YOUR ADULT PASSPORT BY MAIL, PLEASE FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW:
Eligibility Requirements for U.S. Citizen Adult Passport Renewals by Mail
You can submit your most recent passport book;
- You were at least 16 years old when your most recent passport book was issued;
- You hold a 10-year passport which was issued within the past 15 years;
- Your U.S. Passport has not been limited from the normal 10-year validity period due to passport damage/mutilation or multiple passport thefts/losses; and
- You are not requesting a change in the passport data, other than a name change due to marriage or divorce or court order for which you can submit official documentation (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order) to support the name change.
- You are only applying for a new passport book, not a passport card as well.
If you do not meet these criteria, please see “Apply for a Passport ” for instructions on making an appointment to submit a DS-11 passport application in person at the Embassy/Consulate.
Instructions for DS-82 Processing by Mail and Online Fee Payment for U.S. Citizens Residing in Germany
1. DS-82: U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals
Complete this form: DS-82 form
- The Form Filler will select the correct form for you based on the information you input. It may generate a different form from what you expect.
- Note that some fields require U.S. addresses or phone numbers; you can leave these blank and fill them out in pen after the form has been printed.
- You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one.
- If you do not have a Social Security number, you must submit this statement, signed and dated.
- You can renew a passport book by mail but not a passport card. If a passport card is needed, you will need to make an online appointment.
- You must complete all pages of the form and sign and date it.
- You must print your form single-sided. We do not accept double-sided forms.
2. Photocopy & Submit your Most Recent U.S. Passport
You must submit both your most recent passport and a photocopy of the passport bio page.
- Your U.S. passport book must meet all of the requirements listed at the top of this page.
- Your old passport book will be returned to you.
3. Include Name Change Documents (if applicable)
If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must provide the original or a certified copy of the legal name change document, plus one photocopy. Examples include:
- Marriage certificate
- Divorce decree
- Court-ordered name change document
Your original name change document will be returned to you. Please also submit a photocopy of your name change document to be kept with the application.
4. Provide a Photo
Provide one passport-size photograph. Be sure your photo meets all the photo size and format requirements.
- Do not bend the photo.
- You cannot wear eyeglasses in your passport photo (unless you have a signed note from your doctor that you can include with your application).
Pay the $130 passport application fee via the U.S. government’s secure payment site . You must print the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email after successfully paying the fee and include it in the package you send to the Consulate.
6. Pre-paid return envelope
- DHL ExpressEasy, €11.00
- Go to the DHL website
- Choose Expressversand
- Enter your PLZ and Wohnort
- Enter “Dokumente” under Sendungsinhalt
- Press Weiter zur Adresseingabe
- The Absender address should be “Passport Section” followed by the address of the Consulate in Frankfurt (see below)
- The Absender phone and email address should be yours
- Pay, print out the label, and stick it onto the envelope
7. Mail your Documents
Mail your application packet to:
U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt
Attn: Passport Section
Gießener Str. 30
60435 Frankfurt am Main
*Make sure your packet includes ALL of these items: (1) completed, signed DS-82 form; (2) your current passport book; (3) a photocopy of your passport bio page, (4) your photo, (5) your payment confirmation page, (6) a self-addressed, postage-paid envelope for us to return your documents in, (7) if applicable, your signed statement that you have never had an SSN; and (8) if applicable, your proof of name change AND a photocopy of that.
Once we receive your passport application, the average processing time is 7-8 weeks.
Note: Please do NOT send your application directly to the National Passport Processing Center in the United States, because this will significantly delay your application!