The G7 Summit will be held from June 7-8, 2015, and demonstrations are expected in the area of Schloss Elmau, a resort facility in the Bavarian Alps between Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Mittenwald, Germany. The summit is an annual meeting of heads of state and government from the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Japan, Canada, and Germany.
G7 Summits generate widespread public interest. Historically, these annual summits have been a target for demonstrations. Protestors are expected to demonstrate in the cities/areas surrounding Schloss Elmau, including Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Klais, and Mittenwald in the days prior to, during, and right after the G7 Summit. Demonstrations will also take place in Munich, the largest nearby city to Schloss Elmau. At a minimum, U.S. citizens in the area will most likely experience road closures, travel delays, controls at the Austrian border and other heightened security measures.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Germany Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Berlin, located at Clayallee 170, 14191 Berlin, at +49-30-8305-1200, 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday or email firstname.lastname@example.org. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +49-30-8305-0.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt, located at 30 Giessener Strasse, at +49-69-7535-0, 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday or email GermanyACS@state.gov. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +49-69-7535-0.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Munich, located at Koeniginstrasse 5, at +49-89-2888-580, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday or email ConsMunich@state.gov. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +49-89-2888-0.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.