The Department of State alerts U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Hamburg, Germany to possible travel delays and security concerns related to the G20 Summit in Hamburg, on July 7th and 8th, 2017.
Hamburg and German federal authorities are preparing for potential protests from both international and local groups due to the event. These demonstrations and planned security measures may disrupt travel. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
The U.S. Embassy in Berlin recommends that you avoid G20 host sites, particularly the security zones around the Hamburg Messehallen (Convention Center) and Elbphilharmonie from the 2nd through the 8th of July. Avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place and exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Be alert and aware of your surroundings and pay attention to what the local news media has to say about local conditions. Expect delays on all forms of transportation throughout Hamburg from the 2nd through the 9th of July, including roads, subways, buses, and at airports. It may be difficult to find hotels or other forms of lodging in the greater Hamburg area.
For further information about security in Germany:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Germany’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- The American Citizen Services Unit for the U.S. Embassy Berlin is located at Clayallee 170, 14195 Berlin, and is open by appointment only Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The telephone number for routine calls is answered 2-4 p.m. Monday-Friday +49-69-7535-0; email: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance outside of business hours, the after-hours emergency number for the U.S. Embassy Berlin is +49-30-8305-0.
- The U.S.. Consulate General in Frankfurt is located at Giessener Strasse 30, 60435 Frankfurt am Main. The telephone number is +49-69-7535-0 (routine calls, 2-4 p.m. Monday-Friday); e-mail: GermanyACS@state.gov. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance outside of normal business hours, the emergency number for the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt is +49-69-7535-0.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Munich is located at Königinstrasse 5 and is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. The telephone number is +49-89-2888-580 during office hours; e-mail: ConsMunich@state.gov. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance after-hours, the emergency number for the U.S. Consulate General in Munich is +49-89-2888-0.