The U. S. Embassy in Berlin informs U.S. citizens living in or traveling to Germany that five demonstrations are planned for Sunday, July 31, 2016 in Koln/Cologne, Germany. These demonstrations are reportedly in response to the attempted military coup in Turkey.
The demonstrations are expected at the Deutz Wharf (Deutzer Hafen) starting at 3:00 p.m. on July 31. The Union of European Turkish Democrats will be demonstrating with the stated purpose of protesting against the attempted military coup, and estimate that 15,000 people will participate. Other demonstrations in support of the group and counter demonstrators could draw an additional 2,000 people. The police anticipate that they will provide approximately 2,000 officers to help ensure safety throughout the event.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information about security in Germany:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Germany Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- The American Citizen Services Unit for the U.S. Embassy Berlin is located at Clayallee 170, 14195 Berlin, and is open by appointment only Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The telephone number for routine calls is answered 2-4 p.m. Monday-Friday +49-69-7535-0; email: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance outside of business hours, the after-hours emergency number for the U.S. Embassy Berlin is +49-30-8305-0.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt is located at Giessener Strasse 30, 60435 Frankfurt am Main. The telephone number is +49-69-7535-0 (routine calls, 2-4 p.m. Monday-Friday); e-mail: GermanyACS@state.gov. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance outside of normal business hours, the emergency number for the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt is +49-69-7535-0.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Munich is located at Königinstrasse 5 and is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. The telephone number is +49-89-2888-580 during office hours; e-mail: ConsMunich@state.gov. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance after-hours, the emergency number for the U.S. Consulate General in Munich is +49-89-2888-0.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U. S. federal holidays).