Message to U.S. Citizens: Change to the Travel Advisory for Germany; Level 3: Reconsider Travel
Reconsider travel to Germany due to COVID-19. Exercise increased caution in Germany due to terrorism.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for the Germany due to COVID-19, indicating a high level of COVID-19 in the country. Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Germany. There are restrictions in place affecting U.S. citizen entry into Germany.
Terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Germany. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas.
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Germany:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Be aware of your surroundings when traveling to tourist locations and crowded public venues.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Germany.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
For more information regarding the current entry regulations to Germany, the German Government provides information here
Last Update: Reissued with updates to COVID-19 information.
For emergency services, please contact the Embassy or appropriate Consulate General:
U.S. Embassy Berlin
+49-30-8305-0 (business hours)
+49-30-8305-0 (after hours)
U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt
+49-69-7535-0 (business hours)
+49-69-7535-0 (after hours)
U.S. Consulate General Munich
+49-89-2888-575 (business hours)
+49-89-2888-0 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
Did someone forward you this email? Enroll yourself in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive health and security updates and to ensure the State Department can locate you in an emergency. Want to unsubscribe? Click here.