An official website of the United States government

U.S. Army Records Centers
April 11, 2018

National Archives & Records Administration

Archives I, 700 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington DC 20408-0001
Tel: (202) 501 5400 (general inquiries); (202) 501 5410 (genealogy staff)
Website: www.archives.gov

[NB: NARA Archives I holds textual & microfilm records on pre-World War II military and naval/maritime-related matters. Related special media and non-textual records, such as still and motion pictures, electronic, cartographic records, etc are located at Archives II.]

Attn: Textual Reference Branch (NNR 1) Room 13W

Military Service Records for individuals who left the Army between 1789 – Oct 1912 (enlisted), – Jun 1917 (officers)
Morning reports, pre 1917
Unit rosters, pre 1917
Unit operational records, pre 1939
Confederate States Army personnel records 1861-1865

National Archives & Records Administration
Archives II, 8601 Adelphi Road
College Park MD 20740-6001
Tel: (301) 713 6800
Website: http://www.archives.gov

[NB: NARA Archives II maintains cartographic/architectural holdings; electronic records; still and motion picture, sound and video records; and textual records on military-related matters dating from World War II onwards.]

Attn: Textual Reference Branch
Tel: (301) 713 7250
Unit operational records 1939-1954 (all units), and 1954- present (units serving in SE Asia)

Attn: Still Pictures Branch, Special Archives Division
Tel: (301) 713 6660
Photos – Official Army Photograph repository, 1861-the last eight years

Attn: Motion Picture, Sound & Video Branch, Special Archives Division
Tel: (301) 713 7060
Motion Pictures – Official Army repository, 1898-present

National Personnel Records Center

Attn: Military Personnel Records
Official Military Personnel Files for individuals who left the Army since Nov 1912 (enlisted), since Jul 1917 (officers)
(NB – The major portion of the Army’s service records dating from 1912-1959 were destroyed by fire in 1973, when some 17 million personnel files were lost.)

(NB – the above information is available only to the veteran his/herself or, if deceased, next-of-kin. Requests must be made in writing, signed & dated, on the appropriate forms.)
Morning reports, November 1912-1974 (& PDC cards 1974 onwards)
Unit rosters, 1912-1974 (excluding 1944, 1945, 1946) Regular Army

U.S. Total Army Personnel Command (PERSCOM)
Hoffman Building I
2461 Eisenhower Avenue
Alexandria VA 22331-0301
Tel: (703) 325 5303

Attn: Casualty & Memorial Affairs Ops Cntr (TAPC-PEC)

Location details for Army members buried in overseas U.S. Military cemeteries (post 1941)

U.S. Total Army Personnel Command (PERSCOM)
Hoffman Building II
200 Stovall Street
Alexandria VA 22332-0400
Tel: (703) 325 8699/8700

Attn: Freedom of Information Act & Privacy Division (Room 7N53)

Unit operational records, 1954-present (units not serving in SE Asia)
Organizational history files, 1955-1979
Attn: Military Awards Branch (TAPC-PDA)
Awards information for individuals still on active duty

U.S. Army Reserve Personnel Center
9700 Page Avenue
St Louis MO 63132-5200
Website: http://www.army.mil/usar/arpercen/arpercen.htm

Attn: ARPC-SFS-E (Soldier Family Support – Entitlement Directorate)
Replacement awards – requests must be made in writing along with supporting evidence (ie copy of citation, etc).
(NB – replacement awards are issued from a separate office and can take between 12-18 months to arrive)

Unit rosters, etc, 1917-present, Army Reserve (for individual requesting his/her own file)

Tel: (314) 538 2974
Fax: (314) 538 3567
Unit rosters, etc, 1917-present, Army Reserve (for requests from the general public – submit written request under Freedom of Information Act)

Attn: ARPC-SF-C, Tel: (314) 263 6951/2/3; (800) 318 5298 (Customer Services)
To contact individual personnel on the Army Ready Reservist list (written requests only)

Attn: ARPC-SFE (Veterans’ Services Directorate)
Award information for individuals no longer in the Service
(written requests, signed & dated, must include name, service/soc. sec. no., & return address)

Attn: General Officers’ Management Branch
Tel: (314) 538 3550
Reserve personnel records of O-7 and above officers

Attn: National Guard Personnel Office
Tel: (314) 538 3594/2939
Army National Guard personnel records

U.S. Army Active Personnel Locator
U.S. Department of the Army, Worldwide Locator
Fort Benjamin Harrison IN 46249-5301
Tel: (317) 542 4211 (rec’d); 542 4198; (703) 325 3732 (Washington, DC, rec’d)

To contact active duty Army personnel. See Tracing Missing Persons for further details

U.S. Army Center of Military History
1099 14th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005-3402
Tel: (202) 761 5413
Website: http://www.army.mil/cmh.pg

Attn: Organizational History Branch
Organizational history files, 1980-present
Information regarding unit lineages and honors

U.S. Army Military History Institute
Carlisle Barracks PA 17013-5008
Tel: (717) 245 3611
Website: http://www.carlisle.army.mil/usamhi

General historical inquiries
Selected official & unofficial papers (ie unit histories, personal papers and diaries)

U.S. Army Publishing Agency
2800 Eastern Boulevard
Baltimore MD 21220-2896
Tel: (410) 671 2272
Website: http://www.usapa.army.mil

Official U.S. Army publications
U.S. Army Institute of Heraldry
9235 Gunston Road, Room S-112
Fort Belvoir VA 22060-5579
Tel: (703) 806 4968/4969

Information regarding insignia, uniforms, flags, etc

Department of Defense Visual Information Center (DVIC)
1363 Z Street, Bldg. 2730
March Air Field CA 92518-2073
Tel: (909) 413 2522 (still photos), 413 2515 (motion media)
Website: http://www.dodmedia.osd.mil/dvic

Official photographs and videos pertaining to the U.S. Army within the last eight years
(NB: Fees are charged for all DVIC products)
NB: U.S. Army morning reports and PDC cards contain names and service numbers of individuals entering or leaving the unit on a given day; U.S. Army unit rosters contain details of everyone attached to the unit on a given day.