As a U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Embassy or a U.S. Consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to or acquisition of U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), Form FS-240. This form is evidence of U.S. citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday.

Applying for a CRBA is a simple process, but does require you to collect and submit some documentation. We offer this service by appointment only in BerlinFrankfurt, and Munich. Generally speaking, both parents should appear along with their child, to apply. For your convenience, if both parents appear, you may also apply for your child’s first passport when you report your child’s birth.

Detailed information can be found here: u-s-citizen-services/citizenship-services.

To apply for your child’s Social Security number, please contact the Federal Benefits Unit in Frankfurt by visiting their website or emailing directly to


In order to obtain a replacement document for a lost, stolen, or mutilated Consular Report of Birth Abroad, you will need to contact Passport Services at the U.S. Department of State.