New Online CRBA Application Feature for Frankfurt

  1. Adoption
  2. Two-Parent Consent
  3. Birth
  4. New Online CRBA Application Feature for Frankfurt


The U.S. Embassy in Berlin and consulates in Germany are now able to offer a very limited number of appointments for passports and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad.  We are not able to offer call-in hours at this time but will answer your email promptly. If you need an emergency passport for immediate international travel or for reasons relating to immigration, please contact the embassy or consulate nearest you.

Passport processing centers in the United States have resumed operations.  If you have previously applied for a passport or Consular Report of Birth Abroad, your documents should be produced soon and we are working to get them to you as quickly as possible.  The U.S. Embassy in Berlin and consulates in Germany have resumed processing mail-in passport applications for routine renewal.  Please click here for instructions.

U.S. embassies and consulates are still able to print emergency passports.  If you have an immediate need to travel and have a confirmed flight to the United States, please email BerlinFrankfurt, or Munich and request an emergency passport appointment.

Please visit this website for further updates.


You can apply for a CRBA electronically at U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt, Germany. To apply, your child must have been born in GERMANY.

The U.S. Embassy Berlin and the U.S. Consulate General Munich still take your completed paper application (DS-2029). Please visit this page for detailed information.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  United States non-citizen nationals are also eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, using the non-citizen option.

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday.  We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.

To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online at the Consulate Frankfurt, you must answer all of the following criteria with YES
  • Was the child born in GERMANY?
  • Is the child under the age of 18
  • Was at least one parent a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Non-Citizen National when the child was born?
  • You did not use Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) in having your child for whom you are seeking a Consular Report of Birth Abroad?
  • I can use a credit card or a direct payment from my U.S. bank account (also known as “ACH”), to pay online for my Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) application.
  • I am a biological parent or legal guardian applying for a child born abroad.

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply by completing a paper application (DS-2029).

This new process will allow U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.  The easy-to-use online application process provides applicants step-by-step instructions on how to complete the CRBA application. If you cannot find an appointment online but have used the online CRBA feature, you may email us at and request a faster appointment.

To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov account.  MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal.  Once you complete the online application and submit payment, you will then be directed to schedule your appointment at the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt, Germany.

Please allow 5 – 6 working days between payment submission and CRBA interview appointment time. This provides time for your payment to be processed.

Passport applications must be completed and submitted separately.  You cannot submit a passport application payment online, you must pay at the Consulate on the day of your appointment.  As a CRBA is not a travel document, it is strongly recommended that you submit an application for the child’s U.S. passport at the same time.  Both applications may be submitted together at your scheduled CRBA appointment and the child and both parents must appear.  If one custodial parent is not able to attend, they must submit a notarized Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent.

Passport applications and Social Security Card applications must be completed and submitted separately.  Links will be provided at the end of the CRBA application.

Note:  If you cannot use the CRBA online service, please follow these procedures.