International Child Support Enforcement

The issue of international child support enforcement is a high priority to the United States.

As of January 1st 2017 the United States is party to the Hague Convention on the International Recovery of Child Support and Other Forms of Family Maintenance Convention 2007 (also called the Child Support Convention 2007). This enables the United States to judicially enforce child support and family maintenance payments throughout signatory countries, such as e.g. Germany and the rest of the member states of the European Union.

Assistance in the US

If you are seeking help in receiving child or family support enforcement in the United States from someone currently in Germany, please use the forms and filing information provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to register your claim in the United States.

Assistance in Germany

The first step for a parent in Germany seeking enforcement of child support arrangements from a U.S. parent residing in the United States would be to contact the Local Youth Welfare Office, the Federal Office of Justice (Bundesamt für Justiz)(i.e. the Central Authority situated in Bonn) or the German Institute of Youth Human Services and Family Law (DIJuF). The DIJuF is a non-governmental organization for the German Youth Welfare Administration available for guidance and assistance when dealing with the international child support recovery process.

The necessary forms can be found on either the Federal Office of Justice or DIJuF websites and must be turned in at your Local Court in the Higher Regional Court District. The local court will then turn the documents in to the Federal Office of Justice, who will in turn process the petitions according to Chapter III of the Child Support Convention.

Contact information for both organizations:

Bundesamt für Justiz
Referat II 4
Zentrale Behörde Auslandsunterhalt
Adenauerallee 99 – 103
53113 Bonn

Mailing Address: 53094 Bonn

Telephone: +49 228 99 410-6434
Fax: +49 228 410-5202, -5207


Deutsches Institut für Jugendhilfe und Familienrecht (DIJuF) e.V.
German Institute for Youth Human Services and Family Law
Poststraße 17
69115 Heidelberg

Tel.: 0049 (0) 6221 / 98 18-0
Fax: 0049 (0) 6221 / 98 18-28

Click here for a list of the state child support enforcement agencies in the United States.

For more information, please visit the International Child Support Enforcement page.


Last Updated: February 24. 2021