Claims to U.S. Citizenship (over age 18)

If you are over the age of 18 and were born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents, you are ineligible to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), but may still have a claim to U.S. citizenship if you meet the following requirements:

  • Your U.S. citizen parent is listed on your birth certificate.
  • Your U.S. citizen parent(s) had the prerequisite physical presence in the United States required by the U.S. citizenship law in effect at the time of your birth. Please review this website for more information on U.S. citizenship transmission by birth. If, after reviewing this website, you still believe you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, you can arrange for an appointment at the embassy or consulate that serves your area to apply for your first U.S. passport.

The steps below will guide you through the process of getting your first U.S. passport and inform you of the required documents you will need to provide at the appointment.

Prior to your arrival, complete the application by entering your personal information on Form DS-11 using the online Form Filler. The form is available at Travel.State.GovNote: You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. If you wish to include an emergency contact outside the United States, please leave the section blank and fill it in by hand after printing. Be sure to answer all questions accurately. Print the application and bring it with you to your appointment.

Please note: 

  • Do not sign your application until instructed to do so by the consular officer.
  • You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you were never issued a Social Security number, you must submit a signed and dated statement that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct:  I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
    If you have questions regarding this requirement, please see our FAQs here. Information on how to apply for a Social Security number at the U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt is available here.
On the day of your appointment, you will need to bring all of the following original documents AND one photocopy of each.


1- Your foreign birth certificate



Original or certified copy of your long-form birth record issued by the appropriate governmental authority, showing your full name, date and place of birth, parents’ information, filing and issue date. If your document is in a language other than English or German, a certified translation must be provided.
2- Evidence of U.S. Citizenship of the Parent(s) Acceptable documents include a U.S. passport or U.S. Certificate of Naturalization/Certificate of Citizenship.  If your parents have not previously been issued either, a U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
3- Evidence of your Parents’ Marriage (if applicable) Original or certified copy of your parents’ marriage certificate issued by the appropriate governmental authority. If the certificate is in a language other than English or German, a certified translation must be provided.
4- Your Parents’ Marriage Dissolution Documentation (if applicable)


For parents with prior marriages, we require divorce decrees, annulments, or death certificates showing that the marriages have ended, and when they ended.  If your document is in a language other than English or German, a certified translation must be provided.
5Affidavit of Physical Presence or Residence and Parentage. Check the legal requirements depending on your situation.


Your U.S. citizen parent(s) must fill out Part I and Part III of the DS-5507 Affidavit of Physical Presence or Residence, Parentage and Support (pdf) and should accompany you to the Embassy to sign the affidavit under oath. If your U.S. parent is unable to attend the interview, the affidavit can be signed before a notary public and must be accompanied by a notarized copy of your parent’s passport or driver’s license.


Documentary evidence of periods of physical presence in the United States of your U.S. citizen parent(s) prior to your birth, including periods of physical presence outside the United States when the parent served in the U.S. armed forces (DD-214) or was employed by other U.S. government agencies (if applicable). Examples of acceptable primary evidence of this physical presence include:  Original school transcripts, records of military service showing nature of discharge (if any), Social Security income statements, and employment records.


Secondary evidence might include:  income tax returns filed in the United States, utility bills, medical records, former/current passports with stamps, airline ticket stubs, credit card bills, or notarized affidavits from former/current employers.


7- Unmarried U.S. citizen fathers must submit a recognition  of paternity (“Vaterschaftsanerkennung”) 
8 – A Proof of Identity Your current Government issued photo ID (e.g. Ausweis) or your current foreign passport.
9- Name Change Documents (if applicable) If you and/or your parents have changed names through marriage, court order, etc., submit an original or certified copy of the relevant documents.

Provide one U.S. passport sized (5cm x 5cm) photo taken in last 6 months. The photo must be in color and on a white background and meet the requirements found here.

The adult passport book fee ($145) is a non-refundable processing fee and is retained by the Department of State whether or not the passport is issued.

If you wish, you can add a passport card for an extra cost of $30 (non-refundable).

There is no expedited service outside the United States. In general, overseas service is already faster than U.S. service.

Accepted payment methods are:

  • Cash in U.S. Dollars or Euros (for payments in cash local currency is preferred);
  • Credit Cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover; no EC Cards are accepted.

To avoid delay and increase security, please submit a prepaid traceable commercial courier envelope (non-padded, A5 size), such as DHL ExpressEasy, FedEx, DPD, etc. when coming to your appointment.

As of January 2020, you cannot purchase the DHL ExpressEasy envelope at your local German post office. You now need to purchase the equivalent shipping label online. Please click here and follow the process online.

The return address should be the address of the U.S. Embassy in Berlin or the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt or Munich depending on where you are having your appointment (see Step 6). Please use your own email address for the “Absender” so the label will be emailed to you, and not the embassy or consulate.

Please make sure you affix the waybill label to a sturdy envelope and submit it with all other documents on the day of your appointment.

The online appointment calendar displays times for all available consular services, therefore, please make sure you schedule your appointment for the appropriate time AND service. You must make a separate appointment for each individual requiring services. If all the slots for the time you want are already taken, you will need to either choose another day or another time. If you do not schedule the correct service or select an available time, we will be unable to assist you effectively.

  • To schedule an online appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Berlin, please click HERE
  • To schedule an online appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Frankfurt, please click HERE
  • To schedule an online appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Munich, please click HERE

The applicant and, if possible, the U.S. citizen parent(s) must appear in person.

Emergency Appointment Required?
Contact the embassy or consulate via email after a regular appointment has been scheduled and clearly explain the nature of the emergency and your travel dates.

U.S. Embassy Berlin      U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt         U.S. Consulate General Munich

If you are sick or cannot make the appointment, please let us know at least 24 hours in advance so we can try and fill your slot with someone on the waiting list.

Applicants who show up late or fail to appear for their scheduled appointments will need to restart the appointment request process. 

If you use a wheelchair or motorized chair and need assistance, please have someone accompany you to your appointment.  

Processing time for your U.S. passport is approximately 4-6 weeks from the day of your appointment. To avoid delays, complete your passport application online and ensure the barcode is visible on the left side of the first page.  Handwritten applications require additional processing times. Please ensure you submit a prepaid, self-addressed return envelope on the day of your appointment. 

Please note: Write down your tracking number as the passport units do not maintain this information. You may use the tracking number to track the return delivery of your passport.

If you are also applying for a passport card, you should be aware that they take approximately 7-10 days longer than the book to process. If you are applying for a passport card and book, please enclose two return delivery envelopes with your application.

Last Updated: November 16, 2020