Online CRBA Application

Click here for information on how COVID-19 restrictions are impacting our services.

The eCRBA process allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview. The  online application process provides step-by-step instructions  to complete the CRBA application.

  1. Create an account via MyTravelGov, a secured and encrypted portal.
  2. If your child was born in Germany, make sure you have obtained a long-form version of the birth certificate (Geburtenregister); the shorter forms (Geburtsurkunde or Geburtseintrag) are NOT sufficient. You will need to upload a copy of this document and bring the original to your interview.
  3. Complete the CRBA application (step-by-step instructions provided).
  4. IMPORTANT! When you complete the online application, you must add one of the below email addresses to indicate the location where you would like to have your interview appointment!In the section where you provide your private email address, please list one email address for each parent, and in one of the spaces for a second email, list the email address below for the embassy/consulate where you would like to have your CRBA appointment:
    For the U.S. Embassy Berlin, please use
    For the U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt, please use
    For the U.S. Consulate General Munich, please use
    You must include the email address of the embassy/consulate where you would like to apply so that we will know to which location your application should be sent.
  5. Upload all of your required documents.
  6. Submit your payment.
  7. Once you have submitted your payment, your application will be reviewed, and we will contact you via email regarding the next step(s). If your application is incomplete, we will let you know so that you can send the missing information.  Once your application is complete, we will contact you directly via email to schedule your appointment.

Applying for the Child’s U.S. Passport: 

Because a CRBA is not a travel document, it is strongly recommended that you submit an application for the child’s U.S. passport at the same time. The CRBA appointment instructions we send you will include additional instructions on how to apply for the child’s passport at the same time. Unfortunately, the passport application and fee cannot be submitted online, so you will need to bring the completed passport application and pay the passport fee in-person when you come for the CRBA interview.

Please note, to apply for the child’s passport, both parents must come to the interview at the embassy/consulate or provide written consent. If one parent is unable to attend the CRBA appointment, the parent who is coming must bring a notarized, original Statement of Consent DS-3053 (pdf) from the absent parent.

The  Social Security Card application must be completed and submitted separately, after the CRBA and/or passport application is approved.

Last Updated: January 27, 2021