Divorce Abroad FAQs

Marriage and divorce generally are considered matters reserved to the states rather than to the federal government.

Questions regarding the validity of foreign divorces in particular U.S. states may be answered by the office of the attorney general of the state in question. However, you may also need to retain private counsel.

Fore more information on foreign divorce and legal issues, visit the U.S. Department of State website.

Important information about returning to your former name.

To avoid issues with the German authorities and airline bookings, we recommend you change your passport as soon as possible.

If your passport was issued less than a year ago, you can exchange your passport free of charge. Follow these instructions.

If your passport was issued more than a year ago, then you need to apply for a passport renewal and pay the appropriate fee.

You will need to document your name change with an original or certified copy of your divorce decree or, if your previous name is not on your divorce decree, you must provide an official name change document (“Namensaenderung”) for proof of the name restoration along with a copy of the document thereof. Your original name change document will be returned to you with your new passport.

Last Updated: October 29, 2020