Notarial Services

Click here for information on how COVID-19 restrictions are impacting our services.

Important Information Regarding Notarial Services.

Consular officials at any U.S. embassy or consulate abroad can provide a service similar to the functions of a notary public in the United States.

U.S. citizens and nationals of other countries may use the embassy and consulates’ notarial services.

Please read the following instructions before scheduling your appointment.

On the day of your appointment, you will need to:

  • Appear in person and bring a valid government-issued photo ID (U.S. or foreign) with your signature (such as passport, driver’s license or ID card). The name on your identification must match your name on the document you need notarized;
  • Bring the document(s) that need(s) your signature UNSIGNED. The document(s) will have to be signed before a Consular Officer. Even if there are pages that do not require signatures or seals, you must present the entire document(s);
  • Ensure that documents are organized in page order and kept separate from each other with a paper clip. The embassy/consulate staff cannot assemble your documents for you or provide legal advice on their preparation;
  • Ensure that you understand the content of your documents, where you need to sign, and which of your signatures need to be notarized, as our staff will not be able to explain these items to you;
  • If you are signing on behalf of a corporation, bring appropriate documents showing your capacity to sign for the corporation;
  • Verify in advance if your document requires witness(es). The consular staff cannot serve as witnesses. If your document requires the signature(s) of witness(es), you must bring your own (along with their proof of identity) on the day of your appointment. Please make sure they are legally qualified to serve as a witness (i.e., not a minor or incompetent). We will not be able to offer partial services. All those whose signatures, including witness(es), will be notarized at a particular post, must appear on the same day;
  • Pay the fee for the notary service(s).  The services listed below cost $50.00 USD per consular seal. Fees are paid on the day of your appointment. Fees are accepted in the form of cash (U.S. dollars or euros) or credit card. We cannot accept payment by EC card. Notarial service fees are per seal and signature required, not per document notarized.
  • Be aware that the consular officer may refuse any notary service when:
    1. The host country does not authorize the performance of the service,
    2. The document will be used in transactions that may be prohibited by U.S. law,
    3. The officer believes that the document will be used for a purpose that is unlawful, improper, or inimical to the best interests of the United States,
    4. The officer does not understand the document due to language, the documents are incomplete, or any other reason.
    5. The person does not understand the nature and language of the instrument and is unable to comprehend the significance of the act or appears to be acting under duress.

If you are unprepared for your appointment you may be required to make a new appointment on a later date.

Notarial Services We Can Provide:

An Affidavit is a sworn statement, made by you. Write out the statement you wish to make, but do not sign the form. We cannot advise you on the specific language needed in your Affidavit, please consult a lawyer or other legal advisor for that type of assistance. Please keep in mind the consular office assumes no responsibility for the truth or falsity of the representations that appear in the affidavit.

In the case of a Marriage Affidavit, please bring

  • passport
  • divorce papers if you have been married before.

Please do NOT sign the document prior to your appointment.

An acknowledgement of execution is used for legal agreements, business documents, deeds, powers of attorney, financial, or real estate transaction documents such as Grant Deed, Warranty Deed, Bill of Sale, Closing Affidavit, Assignment of Lease Disbursement Instructions, Wills, etc. If you are signing a document on behalf of a company you must bring the company’s social contract that proves you may sign on its behalf;

Please bring your documents fully completed, without any missing pages, assembled and ready for notarization. The Embassy/Consulate cannot assemble your documents for you or provide legal advice on their preparation. If your documents are not ready for signature, you may be asked to make a new appointment.

Prepare your document(s) and be sure to complete the document(s) as much as possible before the appointment.

Please do NOT sign the document prior to your appointment.

A consular officer can take a certified copy of a U.S. passport.  Any person may present the passport to be copied.  The appointment must be made in the name of the person attending.

This service is available only if you are applying for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) and need to have your identification verified before sending your application to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the United States.

For specific information about ITIN, please contact the IRS directly at When attending your appointment, you must bring your original passport. If you have a visa for the United States, make sure to bring the passport holding your valid visa as well, if different from your current passport.

There is no legal requirement that a minor traveling alone have written authorization to enter the United States.  However, CBP (Customs and Border Protection) can always stop someone if they have questions.  CBP therefore recommends that minors travelling with one or neither parent carry a notarized travel authorization in English.  Please see this CBP webpage for more info.

Parents seeking a notarized travel authorization MUST come in person with their complete but unsigned document. You should only sign your document when directed to do so by the Consular Officer.

If you are applying for a U.S. passport service for a child under 16 years of age, and only one parent is able to appear at the embassy or consulate for the passport appointment, the absent parent may furnish a notarized Statement of Consent (Form DS-3053), along with a copy of his/her government-issued valid photo I.D. with signature.

This service is fee exempt.

Please do NOT sign the document prior to your appointment.

New! U.S. citizens getting married in Bavaria, Berlin, Brandenburg, Bremen, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, and Thuringia no longer need a notarized free-to-marry affidavit from the U.S. Embassy. Hamburg and Lower Saxony have also temporarily dropped the requirement, although this may change in the future. Please check with your Standesamt before making an appointment.

Some U.S. citizens marrying in Germany require an “Ehefähigkeitszeugnis” which is a free-to-marry affidavit stating that have the legal ability to get married in Germany. To fulfill this requirement, U.S. citizens are required to take an oath attesting to their marital status. The document signed at the U.S. Embassy in Berlin or the U.S. Consulate in Frankfurt is submitted by the Standesamt to the responsible German court which will issue an exemption to the requirement for an “Ehefähigkeitszeugnis”. To obtain this document, walk-in hours are available at the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt twice a week on Mondays and Thursdays from 13:00 to 14:00 except on German and American Holidays. U.S. citizens can also obtain the required document at the U.S. Embassy in Berlin by making an appointment.

Bring the appropriate form from this list for Frankfurt or bring this document for Berlin.
Do NOT sign the document prior to your appointment.
You can find more information about getting married in Germany.

Please refer to the Treasury Direct website for detailed instructions.

We are unable to cash your savings bonds – we simply notarize your signature.

This service is fee exempt.

Please do NOT sign the document prior to your appointment.

Notarial Services We Cannot Provide:

U.S. law precludes the provision of notarial services in certain cases. Among others, Notarizing Officers cannot provide notarial services in connection with:

  • Authentication, certification, or certified copies of public documents issued in the United States such as birth, residency, marriage, divorce, and death certificates; commercial records, driver’s license, and other credentials. Under the Hague Convention, an Apostille by a U.S. clerk of court of a State Secretary or State certifies the authenticity of a U.S. document.
  • Academic credentials, transcripts or degrees.
  • Certified true copies of non-U.S. documents, such as German birth certificates.
  • Certified copies of Naturalization Certificates. Please visit the USCIS website for more information.
  • Certified copies of U.S. State Department Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBAs).  Please click here for more information.
  • U.S. Apostilles.
  • Medallion signature guarantees. U.S. banks or mutual fund companies often require signature guarantees. Unfortunately, we cannot legally perform a signature guarantee. Please check with your bank or stock company, here or in the U.S., for additional information.
  • Statements beyond the Consular Officer’s knowledge.
  • Criminal background check.

Last Updated: Dec 09, 2020