Apply for a full-validity Passport – my last passport was issued before I was 16 or more than 15 years ago

Click here for information on how COVID-19 restrictions are impacting our services.

Prior to your arrival, complete the application by entering your personal information on Form DS-11 using the online passport wizard. The form is available at Travel.State.GovNote: You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States. Be sure to answer all questions accurately. Print the application and bring it with you to your appointment.

Please note: 

  • Do not sign your application until instructed to do so by the acceptance agent.
  • You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you were never issued a Social Security number, you must submit a signed and dated statement that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct:  I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
    If you have questions regarding this requirement, please see our FAQs here. Information on how to apply for a Social Security Number at the U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt is available here and here.

You may prove U.S. Citizenship with any one of the following (please bring with you the original AND one photocopy):

  • an original U.S. Birth Certificate,
  • an original U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad,
  • an original U.S. Certification of Birth,
  • an original U.S. Certificate of Citizenship, or
  • an original U.S. Naturalization Certificate.

The applicant may prove his/her identity with one of the following (provide original AND one photocopy):

You must submit one of the Primary Identification Documents:

  • an original valid passport of any country,
  • an original national identity card with photograph, or
  • an original valid U.S. or State government ID card

If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must provide an original copy of the legal name change document. Examples include:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Court-ordered name change document

Submit one photograph to the application.  Please see our information under adult passports or at for further information on photographs.

The adult passport book fee is a non-refundable processing fee and is retained by the Department of State whether or not the passport is issued.

There is no expedited service outside the United States. In general, overseas service is already faster than U.S. service.

To determine the correct fee, please see the Fee Chart from Travel.State.Gov which is found here.

Accepted payment methods are:

  • Cash in U.S. Dollars or Euros (for payments in cash local currency is preferred)
  • Credit Cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover; no EC Cards are accepted
  • Cashier’s Check:
    Cashier’s check issued by an American bank in dollars payable to “U.S. Department of State”(Barscheck ausgestellt durch eine amerikanische Bank auf den Namen „U.S. Department of State“)
  • Bank Check or Counter Check:
    Bank check issued by a German bank in dollars drawn on a U.S. bank
    (Bankscheck ausgestellt von einer deutschen Bank bezogen auf eine U.S. Bank in US-Dollar auf den Namen „U.S. Department of State“)

All checks must be machine-readable (i.e., have a coded line running along the bottom of the check). Checks cannot be older than 30 days from issuance to submission for passport renewal.  No personal checks will be accepted.

Frankfurt and Berlin: If you are applying in Frankfurt or Berlin, to avoid delays in processing, all passport applicants must submit a prepaid traceable commercial courier envelope with your application package. Only DHL, FedEx, DPD or UPS have regularly scheduled pick-ups at the Consulate.  Please do not use other commercial couriers or Einschreiben.

German post offices no longer sell the DHL ExpressEasy envelopes.  You must purchase it online and provide your own envelope. Please click here and follow the process. Please make sure you affix the waybill label to a sturdy and suitable envelope and submit it with your application packet. Applications submitted without the appropriate prepaid envelopes will be rejected.

Munich: For applications in Munich, please submit a pre-paid self-addressed envelope. To avoid delay and increase security, the pre-paid envelope should include a traceable delivery service (e.g. Deutsche Post Einschreiben, or any courier service).

Please note: Record your tracking number and keep it in a safe place as the Passport Units do not maintain this information. You may use the tracking number to track the return delivery of your passport.

Minors ages 16-17 with their own identification can apply for a passport by themselves.  However, the minor must show at least one parent or guardian knows that the minor is applying for a passport.  It is recommended that in order to show parental awareness at least one parent appear in person with the minor to identify him/her or to provide a signed, notarized statement consenting to the issuance of a passport (document must be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent’s ID).

NOTE:  Although the two-parent consent requirement does not apply to minors aged 16 or 17, per Department regulations a passport generally will not be issued to a minor if a parent or legal guardian who has custodial rights over a minor has notified the Department in writing that he or she objects to issuance of the passport.

The online appointment calendar displays times for all available consular services, therefore, please make sure you schedule your appointment for the appropriate time AND service. Please make a separate appointment for each individual requiring service. If all the slots for the time you want are already taken, you will need to either choose another day or another time. If you do not schedule the correct service or select an available time, we will be unable to assist you effectively.

To schedule an online appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Berlin, please click HERE
To schedule an online appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Frankfurt, please click HERE
To schedule an online appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Munich, please click HERE

Emergency Appointment Required?
Contact your Embassy/Consulate via email after a regular appointment has been scheduled and clearly explain the nature of the emergency and your travel dates.

U.S. Embassy Berlin      U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt         U.S. Consulate General Munich

If you use a wheelchair or motorized chair and need assistance, please have someone accompany you to your appointment.  

Processing time for your U.S. passport is approximately 4-6 weeks from the day of your appointment. Your passport will be returned to you with your return envelope once processing has been completed. Please ensure you submit a pre-paid, self-addresses return envelope on the day of your appointment.

Please note: Make a note of your tracking number as the Passport Units do not maintain this information. You may use the tracking number to track the return delivery of your passport.

If you are also applying for a passport card, you should be aware that they take approximately 8-10 weeks to process. If you are applying for a passport card and book, please enclose two return delivery envelopes with your application.