We recommend that you register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP); click here for further information. Enrollment is voluntary and costs nothing and means that we can better assist you in case of an emergency while you are abroad. We encourage you to enroll whether you are visiting Germany or residing here.

U.S. citizens may be asked to present a “certificate of good conduct” or “lack of a criminal record” for a variety of reasons for use abroad or in the United States, including adoption, school attendance, employment, etc.

Information on applying for a criminal records check is available from the Federal Bureau of Investigation website at http://www.fbi.gov. Alternatively you can contact the local police department where you reside or last resided in the United States to request that they conduct a criminal records search and provide you with a document reflecting that there is no history of a criminal record.

The application form is available at the German Embassy/Consulate, or directly from the Generalbundesanwalt beim Bundesgerichtshof Dienststelle Bundeszentralregister. More information can be found on the website of the Bundesjustizamt: https://www.bundesjustizamt.de/EN/Topics/citizen_services/BZR/BZR_node.html 

Information regarding marriage is available on our website. Read more

If you are a U.S. citizen or Lawful Resident Alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.

For additional information, please visit the website of the Internal Revenue Service.

It is difficult to trace someone in the United States when their whereabouts are completely unknown as there are no central records of names and addresses available to the public. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to provide you with information on U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents, or foreign nationals who travel to or reside in the United States. These records are protected by the Privacy Act and cannot be divulged to third parties.

However, there may be other parties that can assist you in your search. Information on tracing persons in the United States (including through military and religious organizations).

We can assist in locating a U.S. citizen in Germany in cases of parental child abduction or missing persons cases, or when a friend or loved one has not arrived at the scheduled date and time. We cannot, however, help you trace your ancestry in Germany. You may find the information on our website helpful.

U.S. consular officers are prohibited by federal regulation from serving legal process upon foreign nationals or companies, and are not allowed to appoint others to make such service.

We are required to serve certain forms of legal process, such as subpoenas and show cause orders issued by Federal courts, upon U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States who are temporarily abroad, but we may do so only in the limited circumstances indicated by 28 USC 1783 and 1784 (see also Rule 45(e) of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure).

More information can be found here