Renewing a Child’s Passport under the Age of 16

Click here for information on how COVID-19 restrictions are impacting our services.

All children under age 16 must appear in person with appropriate documentation and with both parents.  Parental consent and signatures are mandatory for passport issuance for minors under age 16 and for renewals. Please note that we require the original and a photocopy of most documentation. Please make sure you bring photocopies before you arrive.

Applicants who arrive without the required documents may be asked to make a new appointment.

Prior to your arrival, complete the application by entering your child’s personal information on Form DS-11 using the online passport wizard.  The form is available at Travel.State.GovNote: You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States. Be sure to answer all questions accurately. Print the application and bring it with you to your appointment.

Please note:

  • Do not sign your child’s application until instructed to do so by the consular officer or acceptance agent.
  • You must include your child’s Social Security Number on your application. If you do not, your application will be returned to you.  If you have questions regarding this requirement, please see our FAQs here.
  • Information on how to apply for a Social Security Number at the U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt is available here and here.
  • If your child does not have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct:  (Child’s full name) has never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”

If your child has previously been issued a passport, you will submit the passport and one photocopy during your appointment.

If the child’s current passport has been lost, please note the following:

You must submit one of the following U.S. citizenship documents for your child. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.

  • Five year validity, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists applicant’s full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists the parent or parents’ full names
    • Has the date filed with registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the registrar’s signature
    • Has the seal of the issuing authority
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization Certificate

At your appointment, you must also submit documentation that lists the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of the child applying for a passport.  We will need original and one photocopy.

The following may be used to show parental relationship:

  • U.S. birth certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Adoption decree

Please note: These documents must be originals or certified copies.

You must submit original document and one photocopy.

The following are typical proof of parental identity:

  • Previously issued, undamaged U.S. or foreign passport
  • Original Naturalization Certificate
  • Current Government Employee ID (city, state or federal)
  • Current Military ID (military and dependents).

Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child’s passport. The best way to do this is for both parents/guardians to appear with the child in person to apply for the passport.

What if both parents/guardians cannot appear in person? 

Please note: The notarized consent is only valid 90 days.

You have sole legal custody You must submit evidence of this with the application. Examples include:

  • Complete court order granting you sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
  • Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply for your child’s passport
  • Certified copy of the child’s birth certificate listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person

Certified copy of the death certificate of the parent that cannot appear in person

One parent unable to appear If one parent/guardian cannot go with the child to apply for the passport, they can give permission by completing
Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent.” You must submit the completed form with the child’s passport application. The parent that cannot appear with the child must sign and date Form DS-3053 in the presence of a certified notary public, and submit a photocopy of the front and back side of the ID presented to the notary public with Form DS-3053. Please Note: The notarized consent is only valid 90 days.
You cannot locate the other parent You must submit Form DS-5525 “Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances.” Please complete the form with as much detail as possible.

We may ask for additional information (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to protect against international parental child abduction.

Neither parent able to appear A third party may apply for the child’s passport with a notarized statement from both parents/guardians giving that third party permission to apply for the child. The statement must include a photocopy of the parents/guardians’ identification.

When the statement is from only one parent/guardian, the third party must present evidence of sole custody of the consenting parent/guardian.




You must provide one photo of the child with the application.  Please see our information under adult passports or at for further information on photographs.

Please note:

  • Do not attach your photo to the form before submitting it to the acceptance agent.

     Tips for taking photos of infants and newborns:

  • Lay the child on its back on a white blanket or sheet to ensure its head is supported without the aid of a hand.
  • Alternatively, cover a car seat with a plain white sheet and take a picture of your child in the car seat.
  • Please make sure no other person is in the photo.

To avoid processing delays, be sure the photo meets all photo requirements.

The minor’s passport book fee is a non-refundable processing fee and is retained by the Department of State whether or not the passport is issued.

There is no expedited service outside the United States. In general, overseas service is already faster than U.S. service.

To determine the correct fee, please see the Fee Chart from Travel.State.Gov which is found here.

Accepted payment methods are:

  • Cash in U.S. Dollars or Euros (for payments in cash local currency is preferred)
  • Credit Cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover; no EC Cards are accepted
  • Cashier’s Check:
    Cashier’s check issued by an American bank in dollars payable to “U.S. Department of State”(Barscheck ausgestellt durch eine amerikanische Bank auf den Namen „U.S. Department of State“)
  • Bank Check or Counter Check:
    Bank check issued by a German bank in dollars drawn on a U.S. bank
    (Bankscheck ausgestellt von einer deutschen Bank bezogen auf eine U.S. Bank in US-Dollar auf den Namen „U.S. Department of State“

All checks must be machine-readable (i.e., have a coded line running along the bottom of the check). Checks cannot be older than 30 days from issuance to submission for passport renewal.  No personal checks will be accepted.

Frankfurt and Berlin: If you are applying in Frankfurt or Berlin, to avoid delays in processing, all passport applicants must submit a prepaid traceable commercial courier envelope with your application package. Only DHL, FedEx, DPD or UPS have regularly scheduled pick-ups at the Consulate.  Please do not use other commercial couriers or Einschreiben.

German post offices no longer sell the DHL ExpressEasy envelopes.  You must purchase it online and provide your own envelope. Please click here and follow the process. Please make sure you affix the waybill label to a sturdy and suitable envelope and submit it with your application packet. Applications submitted without the appropriate prepaid envelopes will be rejected.

Munich: For applications in Munich, please submit a pre-paid self-addressed envelope.  To avoid delay and increase security, the pre-paid envelope should include a traceable delivery service (e.g. Deutsche Post Einschreiben, or any courier service).

Please note: Record your tracking number and keep it in a safe place as the Passport Units do not maintain this information.  You may use the tracking number to track the return delivery of your passport.

The online appointment calendar displays times for all available consular services, therefore, please make sure you schedule your appointment for the appropriate time AND service. Please make a separate appointment for each individual requiring service. If all the slots for the time you want are already taken, you will need to either choose another day or another time. If you do not schedule the correct service or select an available time, we will be unable to assist you effectively.

To schedule an online appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Berlin, please click HERE
To schedule an online appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Frankfurt, please click HERE
To schedule an online appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Munich, please click HERE

Emergency Appointment Required?
Contact your Embassy/Consulate via email after a regular appointment has been scheduled and clearly explain the nature of the emergency and your travel dates..

U.S. Embassy Berlin      U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt         U.S. Consulate General Munich

If you use a wheelchair or motorized chair and need assistance, please have someone accompany you to your appointment.  

Processing time for your U.S. passport is approximately 4-6 weeks from the day of your appointment. Your old passport will be canceled and returned to you with your new passport once processing has been completed. Please ensure you submit a pre-paid, self-addresses return envelope on the day of your appointment.

Reminder:  Make a note of your tracking number as the Passport Units do not maintain this information. You may use the tracking number to track the return delivery of your passport.

Please note: If you are also applying for a passport card, you should be aware that they take approximately 8-10 weeks to process. If you are applying for a passport card and book, please enclose two return delivery envelopes with your application.

Please bring photocopies of all documentation submitted in support of the application.

Do not mail your application. This will significantly delay processing. All passports for minors require appearance in person.