Renewing an Adult Passport


The U.S. Embassy in Berlin and consulates in Germany are now able to offer a very limited number of appointments for passports and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad. We are not able to offer call-in hours at this time but will answer your email promptly. If you need an emergency passport for immediate international travel or for reasons relating to immigration, please contact the embassy or consulate nearest you.

Passport processing centers in the United States have resumed operations.  If you have previously applied for a passport or Consular Report of Birth Abroad, your documents should be produced soon and we are working to get them to you as quickly as possible.  The U.S. Embassy in Berlin and consulates in Germany have resumed processing mail-in passport applications for routine renewal.  Please see the instructions below.

U.S. embassies and consulates are still able to print emergency passports.  If you have an immediate need to travel and have a confirmed flight to the United States, please email BerlinFrankfurt, or Munich and request an emergency passport appointment.

Please visit this website for further updates.


You can renew by mail or in person using form DS-82 if your most recent passport:

  • Is submitted with your application
  • Is undamaged (other than normal “wear and tear”)
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Was issued within the last 15 years
  • Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply in person using form DS-11

If you are resident in Germany and not currently in the United States, please mail your package to the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt. Do NOT send your application to the National Passport Processing Center. This will significantly delay your passport processing.

How to apply by mail

Complete Form DS-82 online, print it out and sign it. The form is available at Travel.State.Gov. Note: You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States. Please DO NOT mail the form to the National Passport Processing Center in the United States.

Incomplete, unsigned or incorrect applications will not be accepted and will be mailed back to you.

Please note: You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you were never issued a Social Security number, you must submit a signed and dated statement that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct:  I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”

Information on how to apply for a Social Security Number at the U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt is available here and here.

You must submit your most recent passport as well as a photocopy of the bio page with your application.

Please note: Your U.S. passport book and/or card must meet all of the requirements listed under “Renew an adult passport.” Your most recent passport will be returned to you with your new passport.

If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must provide an original copy of the legal name change document as well as a copy thereof. Your original name change document will be returned to you with your new passport. Examples include:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Court-ordered name change document

Submit one photograph to the application. Please see this video for a picture perfect passport photo! To avoid processing delays, be sure your photo meets all the photo requirements. Photographs for U.S. passports differ from local requirements and can be found on Travel.State.Gov. Our general requirements are that the photo be:

  • In color;
  • Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper;
  • 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size;
  • Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head. Eye height is between 1 1/8 inches to 1 3/8 inches (28 mm – 35 mm) from the bottom of the photo;
  • Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance;
  • Taken in front of a plain white background;
  • Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera;
  • Taken with a neutral facial expression (preferred) or a natural smile, and with both eyes open;
  • Remove your eye glasses;
  • Taken in normal street attire, without a hat, or head covering; and
  • Taken so there are no distracting shadows on the face or background.

Digitized Photographs

If you choose to submit digitized photographs, they must meet the requirements as listed above or they will be rejected. Some printers will produce an unacceptable photograph in which the dots are seen, or the image is grainy. Acceptable photographs are printed on high-quality photographic paper, have a continuous tone image that is very photo-like, and show the subject clearly in focus.

Please note: Do not bend the photo. We will only accept photographs that meet all above requirements. For further information on photo requirements, please click here.


The adult passport book processing fee is non-refundable and retained by the Department of State whether or not the passport is issued.

There is no expedited service outside the United States. Please do not include payment for this service, as it will delay your processing time. Overseas service is generally faster than U.S. service.

The passport renewal fee is $110. For more information on fees, please see the fee chart.

For mail-in passport renewals, we accept these payment methods:

  • Cashier’s Check
    Cashier’s check issued by a U.S. bank in dollars payable to “U.S. Department of State”
    (Barscheck ausgestellt durch eine amerikanische Bank auf den Namen „U.S. Department of State“)
  • Bank Check or Counter Check
    Bank check issued by a German bank in dollars drawn on a U.S. bank
    (Bankscheck ausgestellt von einer deutschen Bank bezogen auf eine US-Bank in US-Dollar auf den Namen „U.S. Department of State“)

All checks must be machine-readable (i.e., have a coded line running along the bottom of the check) and must have been issued within 30 of submitting your application.

If your bank asks you to add an identification number, please let them know that being a diplomatic entity and not a commercial company, a U.S. embassy or consulate has no “Handelsregister-Nr.” nor a “Steueridentifikations-Nr.” if your bank cannot provide you with a money order, please make an online appointment to visit us in Frankfurt.

For in-person passport renewals, you have two additional options:

  • Cash in U.S. dollars or euros
  • Credit Cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover

We cannot accept these forms of payment:

  • EC cards
  • Personal checks
  • Credit cards or cash for mail-in applications

Please follow these instructions. Mail-in applications without acceptable payment will be returned to the sender.

To avoid delay and increase security, please submit a prepaid traceable commercial courier envelope, such as the DHL Express Easy envelope, FedEx, TNT, DPD, etc. when mailing in your application package. As of January 2020, you cannot purchase the DHL ExpressEasy envelope at your local German post office. You now need to purchase this online. Please click here and follow the process online. Please make sure you affix the waybill label to a sturdy envelope and submit it with all other documents.

Your passport will be returned to you with your courier envelope once processing has been completed. Please ensure that you write down your tracking number as the Consulate does not maintain this information.  You may use the tracking number to track the return delivery of your passport online.

Mail your completed application package to below address:

U.S. Consulate General
Passport & Citizenship Section
Giessener Str. 30
60435 Frankfurt am Main

We recommend that you send your application with a traceable delivery service. Do NOT send your application to the National Passport Processing Center.  This will significantly delay your passport processing.

Starting immediately, all incomplete application packages will be promptly returned to the sender with the courier envelope submitted with the  application package.

Adult Passport Renewal Applicants, eligible to use Form DS-82, are strongly urged to apply via mail. If you cannot apply via mail due to payment issues and need to visit the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt to drop off your DS- 82 you must do so on a walk-in basis. You may also arrange for an appointment at the U.S. Embassy Berlin or the U.S. Consulate General Munich.

For mail in applications in Germany:  Please be aware that it may take up to 5–7 working days for an application to reach the Passport Unit after its arrival at the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt and processing of the application starts at that time. Processing time for a full validity (10 years for adult applicants) U.S. passport currently is approximately 4-6 weeks from the day we receive your application due to the current circumstances. To avoid delays, complete your passport application online and ensure the barcode is visible on the left side of the first page.  Handwritten applications require additional processing times. Your passport will be returned to you with your return envelope once processing has been completed. Please ensure you submit a pre-paid, self-addresses courier envelope with your application. We do not accept Deutsche Post Einschreiben for the return of your passport.

Please note: Record your tracking number and keep it in a safe place as the U.S. Consulate does not maintain this information. You may use the tracking number to track the return delivery of your passport.

If you are also applying for a passport card, you should be aware that they take approximately 8-10 weeks to process. If you are applying for a passport card and book, please enclose two return delivery envelopes with your application.