Weather Alert – High Avalanche Danger
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Event: The Bavarian Avalanche Warning System has raised the avalanche risk level to 4 (high) due to a significant increase in fresh snow and strong winds. Avalanches can be released very easily and large natural avalanches are to be expected. Falling trees may pose the risk of releasing avalanches, causing injuries, blocking roadways and rail lines, and causing power outages. These conditions are very critical for snow sport activities outside of marked and open slopes.
Actions to Take:
- Follow the instructions of local authorities and guides.
- Avoid back country skiing (“off piste”) or other winter sports in affected areas.
- Stay on marked and open pistes for snow sport activities.
- Monitor local media for updates before and during your travel.
- Monitor the Bavarian Avalanche Warning System website https://www.lawinenwarndienst-bayern.de/res/start_winter.php
U.S. Consulate Munich, Germany
(089) 2888-0 (dialing from within Germany)
01149-89-2888-0 (dialing from overseas)
Bureau of Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada)
+1-202-501-4444 (from other countries)
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates