Visa Processing and Documents

If the petition was filed in the United States, please follow the instructions provided on the USCIS approval notice.

If the I-130 petition was filed through USCIS at the U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt, the National Visa Center is not involved in the processing of the application. All documents should be mailed to:
U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt
Immigrant Visa Unit
Giessener Strasse 30
60435 Frankfurt.

All documents not in English or German must be accompanied by an English translation. Translations must be certified by a competent and registered translator.

Please note that a German-language police certificate with an entry must be accompanied by a certified English translation. Present and former residents of the U.S. should not obtain a police certificate covering their residence in the United States.

The term police certificate means a statement which will advise the consular officer whether or not any criminal convictions are held in your name. See the Department of State’s website:, find the country and look under ”Police, Court, Prison Records”. If it is your place of birth, or current residence you will require a police certificate if you have resided in that country for more than 6 months from your sixteenth birthday. The period of residence is twelve months, for any other country.

Present and former residents of the U.S. should not obtain a police certificate covering their residence in the United States.

Persons who reside in Germany but are not required to register (for example, military family members covered by the Status of Forces Agreement) should first apply for the police certificate with the registration authority in the district where they reside. Some offices will process the application if it can be shown why the applicant is not required to be registered in Germany. If the local office will not process the request, the application form should be sent to:

Generalbundesanwalt beim Bundesgerichtshof
Dienststelle Bundeszentralregister
Sachgebiet BZR 32 – Internationale Rechtshilfe
53094 Bonn

In order to confirm the identity of the applicant, the applicant must sign the application before a German diplomatic or consular representative  or by a notary .  The application form can be downloaded from the following website:

With the exception of the police certificate from your current country of residence, which is considered valid for 12 months from the date of issuance, a police certificate is valid indefinitely, provided you do not return to the country and reside for six months or more, if it’s your country of birth or current residence. The period is twelve months for any other country.

You are required to enter the details of every child under the age of 21, including step-children from a marriage that was entered into while the child was under the age of 18.  You are not required to enter the details of children who are U.S. citizens.

You will need to enter a stateside address in the “mailing and permanent address” field on the DS-260, as this is where the  green card will be mailed after the beneficiary has entered the U.S. with the immigrant visa. If you do not have a stateside address yet, you may put the address of family or friends in the U.S. that are trustworthy to forward the green card to your address upon receipt. The address can be updated with USCIS at the port of entry or filing a change of address through the USCIS website after entry into the U.S.

If the Immigrant Visa Unit at the U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt is processing your immigrant visa application, you should enter your case number (normally beginning with FRN) and, in place of the invoice number, your date of birth (in the format YYYYMMDD). If you have further questions about completing the DS-260, see the Department of State’s website for further information.

If you have made an error when completing the DS-260 you are required to correct the error and re-transmit it if the error concerns the Background and Security questions or passport number. Please contact us through our website as we will be required to unlock your case before you can amend the information.

Intending immigrants must be able to prove that they will not become a public charge in accordance with guidelines. Please see poverty guidelines sheet which is available on the USCIS website:


A Form I-864 is required by individuals qualifying for immigration in the immediate relative category as a spouse, child (including orphans), or parent of a U.S. citizen (IR1, CR1, CR2, IR5) as well as individuals qualifying for immigration in the family based preference categories as the unmarried son/daughter, married son/daughter, brother/sister of a U.S. citizen and the spouse and unmarried child of a Lawful Permanent Resident (F1, F2, F3, F4).

If you are applying for a K, DV or SB1 (Returning Resident) you may complete form I-134, not I-864, or submit evidence that you will not become a public charge.

FAQs for filling in the I-864 and I-864A can be found at:

Complete instructions and forms may be downloaded from