Baby Transportation Letter

I am a Legal permanent resident and had a baby while outside the United States. How do I bring my child to the U.S.?

We recommend checking with your airline or transportation carrier first to ensure they will board your child in these circumstances without carrier documentation. If the airline or transportation carrier refuses to board your child without carrier documentation, we can issue a boarding letter. In this situation, you do not need to file Form I-131A or pay a fee for this service. You must make an appointment to visit our office in Frankfurt. You and your baby must appear in person to obtain the transportation letter.

What should I bring to the appointment?

  • The baby’s passport
  • The baby’s birth certificate
  • Your passport
  • Your I-551 Permanent Resident Card
  • Your unexpired Reentry Permit (if applicable)
  • Flight ticket /electronic itinerary which shows your last departure from the U.S., and upcoming return travel to the United States for you and your baby.
  • One passport photo of the baby

Is there a fee and when do I get the transportation letter?

There is no fee for the transportation letter.  In most cases baby transportation letters are issued on the same day.

What if I remained outside of the U.S. for more than a year?

If you have been continuously outside of the U.S. for a period of one year and are not in possession of a Reentry Permit – Form I-131, which permits you to stay outside the U.S. for up to 2 years, a baby transportation letter cannot be issued.

You must request an appointment at a Mission Germany Consular Section.