Click here for information on how COVID-19 restrictions are impacting our services.

Frequently asked COVID-19 Questions for Visas.

The Consular Sections of the U.S. Embassy in Berlin and the U.S. Consulates General Frankfurt and Munich are responsible for providing visa services to those seeking to enter the United States for a temporary period. Please visit our Global Support Services (GSS) website for complete information on applying for a nonimmigrant U.S. visa, including a directory of nonimmigrant visa categories.

If you wish to renew your nonimmigrant visa, you may be eligible to do so by mail without an interview. Please visit our visa renewal page for more information.

In order to facilitate speedy entry into the building, please read our security notice on prohibited items.

Nonimmigrant visas are intended for people with permanent residence outside the United States who wish to go to the United States temporarily for tourism, business, medical treatment, work, or study. Visa Categories depend on the applicant’s purpose of travel. If you are travelling on business, please also check our website on visa for temporary employment.

Some travel is permissible without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program

The “B” Visitor Visa is a nonimmigrant visa for persons desiring to enter the United States temporarily for business (B-1), or temporarily for pleasure (B-2).

The U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) provides several categories of nonimmigrant visas for those who want to work temporarily in the United States. The visa category depends on the applicant’s purpose of travel. You can find out more about each type of visa on the website of the U.S. State Department.

Working in the United States is only possible with a visa – regardless of how long or short you stay.

Citizens of a foreign country who wish to enter the United States for study generally require a student visa. The  course of study and the type of school determine whether students need to apply for a F-1, J-1 or M-1 visa.

There are three types of visas for student and exchange program participants:

  • F-Visa – Student (academic, high school or language program)
  • J-Visa –  Exchange visitors
  • M-Visa – Student in vocational or recognized non-academic program

Treaty Trader (E-1) or Treaty Investor (E-2) visa can be applied for by executives, managers, and essential workers of qualified companies from treaty countries, who qualify to conduct treaty-based trade or investment in the United States.   U.S. Immigration law and regulations permit holders of E-Visas to reside in the United States to manage the trade or investments of a U.S. business (the “Enterprise”) or, in certain cases, to provide essential skills to the Enterprise. Holders of E-Visas must intend to depart the United States upon the termination of their E visa status.

In Germany, all diplomatic/official U.S. visa requests are processed by the U.S. Embassy in Berlin.