Official and Diplomatic Visa (A, C, G, NATO)

In Germany, all diplomatic/official U.S. visa requests are processed by the American Embassy, Berlin, Clay Building (Clayallee 170, 14195 Berlin-Dahlem). Applications for visas for official travel to the United States may be submitted to the Diplomatic Visa Unit in Berlin Tuesday and Thursday from 02:00 – 02:15 p.m, except on U.S. and German holidays. Courtesy interview appointments for diplomats applying for non-official (e.g. visitor) visa are normally scheduled on a case-by-case basis.

To make an appointment for the delivery of applications for official travel or for a courtesy interview to apply for a diplomatic visitor visa, please send an email to

Domestic Employees of Diplomatic/Official/NATO visa holders may, under certain conditions, obtain A-3, G-5 or NATO-7 Visas.

Note: No personal appearance is required for applications for official travel. However, a personal interview by a consular officer and biometric fingerprinting are mandatory for applicants for diplomatic visitor visas.

To qualify for an “A” visa, the individual concerned must be traveling to the United States on behalf of his or her national government to engage in official activities for that government.

Local government officials representing their state, province, city or other local political entity do not qualify for “A” visa status and may obtain the appropriate B-1 or B1/B2 visa for such travel at the U.S. Embassy in Berlin, or at the U.S. Consulates in Frankfurt and Munich regardless of their passports’ category (tourist, official, or diplomatic). Alternatively, as provided by the Visa Waiver Program, such visitors may obtain an ESTA for their travel on the Visa Waiver Program, provided that they use their tourist passport.

At this time, all travelers using official and diplomatic passports are requested to apply for the appropriate visa class, rather than using the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).

This visa is for a government official who must transit through the U.S. to conduct official business on behalf of a foreign government in another country or at the UN Headquarters in New York.

What types are available?

  • C-2 is for an official (or unaccredited media representative) of a government not recognized de jure by the U.S. who needs to transit to the UN Headquarters in New York.
  • C-3 is for an accredited government official, their immediate family and their attendants who need immediate transit through the U.S. to transact official business in another country.

To qualify for a “G” visa the individual concerned must be entering the United States in pursuance of official duties. Members of a permanent mission of a recognized government to an international organization are eligible for G-1 visas; representatives of a recognized government traveling to the United States temporarily to attend meetings of a designated international organization are eligible for G-2 visas; representatives of non-recognized or non-member governments are eligible for G-3 visas; G-4 visas are issued to individuals who are proceeding to the United States to take up an appointment at a designated international organization, including the United Nations.

G-1, G-2, and G-3 visa applications must be accompanied by a Note Verbale from the applicant’s national government. G-4 visa applications must be accompanied by an official request from the appropriate international organization.

An individual will be classified under the symbol “NATO”, if he or she is seeking admission to the United States under the applicable provision of the Agreement on the Status of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, National Representatives and International Staff. However, many armed forces personnel are exempt from passport and visa requirements if they are either attached to NATO Allied Headquarters in the United States and are traveling on official business, or are entering the United States under a NATO Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA). In the case of the latter, they must carry official military ID cards and NATO travel orders.

Immediate Family Members of Diplomats/Officials, NATO Members – are defined as the spouse and unmarried children of any age who are members of the principal applicant’s household. They are eligible for a derivative visa. Cohabitating domestic partners who are recognized as the principal alien’s dependent by the sending government, while not eligible for derivative visas, may apply for B1/B2 visas, if otherwise qualified.

Domestic Employees of Diplomatic/Official/NATO visa holders may, under certain conditions, obtain A-3, G-5 or NATO-7 Visas.

Diplomatic passport holders are exempt from paying visa fees for all types of visas. Regular and official passport holders are not charged visa application fees for official visas, but are required to pay visa application and reciprocal issuance fees, if applicable, for all non-official visas.