For more information on how to apply for a nonimmigrant visa and for scheduling your visa appointment please contact our Visa Service Provider, CGI Federal. CGI Federal is the only private company that the U.S. Embassy and U.S. Consulates in Germany authorize to provide visa information and visa application services.
Visa Service Provider: http://ustraveldocs.com/de/
- Callers in Germany: +49 (0)322-2109-3243 or (0)62047050390 (cost for call: telephone company charges apply, no additional fee)
- Callers in the United States: +1 (703) 520-2560 (7 am to 3 pm eastern standard time)
English- and German speaking customer service agents are ready to assist you 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday. The call center is closed Saturdays, Sundays, German and American Holidays.
We cannot guarantee that you will be issued a visa. Do not make final travel plans or buy tickets until you have a visa.
All applicants must submit the following items at the time of the visa interview
- Current valid passport
- DS-160 application form – confirmation page
- Appointment confirmation
The consular officer will only consider documents brought along to the interview. Documents faxed or mailed to the Consulate General in advance of the application will not be considered.
Interview and application forms are designed to elicit all necessary information. Applicants may want to consider bringing along documents that they feel are useful, but the consular officer may not choose to look at them if it appears that additional documents won’t make a difference in the adjudication.
ALL visa applicants are required to fill in the Online application form (DS-160)
No appointment is scheduled for you when you complete your DS-160, you must still manually schedule an appointment. Please check “Required Documents” to determine if your visa category requires additional forms.
Visa Class Information
Please clarify which visa category is the correct one for your proposed travel. This information is required to complete the DS-160 Application Form.
Some categories, such as temporary workers and foreign media (H1B, L, P, O, and I visas), are actually a subcategory of the choice “other” in the drop-down menu. Note: If you select the wrong visa class, you may be required to fill out a new application form.
Saving the Form
- Click on the “Save” button. This will temporarily save your data to your computer. As soon as your application session is over or your browser closes, your data will be lost.
- Click on the “Save Application to File” button. This will save your application data to your computer in a “.dat” file. This data cannot be opened by any other application other than the online DS-160 Application Form and may be displayed by some computers as having an error. To open this data, choose the option “Upload a Previous Application” at the beginning of the application form and choose your saved “.dat” file.
- To verify this data is yours, you will be asked to submit your last name and year of birth to complete the upload
Submitting the Form
- Choose the location where you will be making your visa appointment, Berlin, Frankfurt or Munich, and then click “Start a New Application” or “Upload a Previous Application.”
- Complete the Personal Data
- Under the “Travel Information” section, you have to choose your “purpose of trip to U.S.” This will be your visa class (some visa classes are found under “other” , e.g. H, L, O and I visas)
- View the visa categories to find out which category you should submit here
- Visa classes are listed in a general manner: H1 would be H, O1 would be O, etc.
- Complete the rest of the application, at the end you will be asked to upload a photo.
- Upload a Photo (This is required; if you do not upload a photo you will not be able to continue and submit your application!)
- After confirming your photo, you are given an opportunity to review your application. You do not need to print this information!
- Next digitally sign your application with your passport number and the code displayed on the screen and submit your application.
- Your confirmation screen will now be displayed, please click on the “Print Confirmation” button to print your confirmation sheet with your personal barcode on it.
Print ONLY the confirmation sheet.
More Information: DS-160 FAQs