Nonimmigrant visas are intended for people with permanent residence outside the United States who wish to go to the United States temporarily for tourism, business, medical treatment, work, or study. Visa Categories depend on the applicant’s purpose of travel.
Some travel is permissible without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program.
If you are travelling on business, please also check our website on visa for temporary employment [temporary employment page]
The “B” Visitor Visa is a nonimmigrant visa for persons desiring to enter the United States temporarily for business (B-1), or temporarily for pleasure (B-2).
B1 Business Visitor Visa
Travel appropriate for a business (B-1) visitor visa includes travel to:
- Consult with business associates;
- Attend a scientific, educational, professional or business convention, or a
- conference on specific dates;
- Settle an estate;
- Negotiate a contract;
- Participate in short-term training.
B2 Visitor Visa
Travel appropriate for a (B-2) visitor visa includes travel to:
- Tourism or Family Visits
- Medical Reasons
- Participation in Social Events
- Armed Forces Dependents
- Dependents of Crew Members
- Short, part-time Course of Study
- Amateur Entertainers and Athletes
B-1/B-2 Business & Pleasure Visa
We understand that business and pleasure are often mixed when traveling to the U.S. and therefore the B-1 and B-2 are often issued as a combined “B-1/B-2” Visa.