A Program of Empower Peace
Women2Women – America 2018
International Leadership Program
July 19 – 28, 2018
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
The Women2Women International Leadership Program (W2W 2018) is a program of Empower Peace. W2W 2018 is an opportunity for young women ages 15-19 to participate in an educational cultural exchange. This year’s program will be held at Simmons College in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. W2W 2018 will provide participants with the educational opportunity to learn, network and acquire leadership skills that will empower them to make a difference in their respective communities and countries. Participants will also have the opportunity to meet and develop friendships with their peers from around the world.
Over the past 12 years, more than 1,100 young women from over 60 countries have participated in the program since 2006. APPLICATION DEADLINE: TUESDAY, APRIL 3, 2018.
Women2Women – America 2018 International Leadership Program
The Women2Women – America 2018 conference will focus on “The Power of Women” and the critical need for women to promote women’s rights, social justice and to stand up to sexual harassment and gender inequality. As a delegate, you will have the opportunity to learn about the current status of women and girls around the world, as well as the social and economic progress that is possible when women and girls have the opportunity to participate fully in every aspect of society. You will meet with leading figures tackling these challenges on an international scale, and develop your leadership skills so you can make a difference. Perhaps most importantly, you will be joining a lifelong, global network of young women who support each other and work together to contribute to positive change around the world.
Despite much progress, women and girls are still the most discriminated-against group in the world. Consider these facts:
- Of the 1 billion people living in absolute poverty around the world (unable to secure basic life necessities), 60% are women and girls.
- Women contribute 2/3 of the world’s working hours, yet earn only 10% of the income.
- An extra year of primary school education boosts a girl’s eventual wages by 10-20%. An extra year of secondary school adds 15-25%.
- There are 31 million girls of primary school age not in school. Of these, 17 million are expected never to enter school
- Worldwide, nearly 50% of all sexual assaults are against girls aged 15 years of younger.
- 1 in 3 girls will experience some form of violence in their lifetime.
- Around the world, 120 million girls under 20 have experienced forced sexual intercourse or some other form of sexual violence.
- Every year 800,000 people are trafficked across national borders. 80% of the victims are women. 50% of the victims are minors.
- 1 in 7 girls in the developing world will be married before her 15th
- Every minute of every day a pregnant woman dies from mostly preventable causes.
- Women earn 79 cents to every dollar earned by a man.
Unfortunately, there is no community in the world that is untouched by these issues. It’s time to come together and make a difference.
While the statistics above are shocking, so too are the results when women and girls are able to participate fully in society. Women involved in the political, social, and economic life of their countries and communities are better-positioned to increase attention for women’s rights. Simply providing women and girls with an education can lead to healthier families and children, less poverty and stronger national economies. Education also equips women with the knowledge and skills needed to realize their potential and protect themselves from harm. By participating in W2W 2018, you will learn how to claim your seat at the table and become part of the solution.
Young women, between the ages of 15-19 as of July 1, 2018 in the United States and around the world are welcome to apply for the Women2Women – America 2018 conference.
The conference will be entirely conducted in English; therefore, participants must have a strong ability to speak and understand English.
In addition, Empower Peace is looking for students with the following abilities/interests:
- Learning about other cultures, religions, and countries.
- Political science/government, world events, media/journalism, community activism and/or business
- Active in community service activities and/or extracurricular activities.
- Willing and able to work with a variety of individuals and teams from many different cultures, backgrounds and religions.
- Demonstrate solid leadership qualities and abilities.
- Make the most of this opportunity and share their experiences with others in their schools and communities when they return home.
Women2Women alumnae are not eligible to apply as students participants.
The application contains 4 personal statements (essays). This application may take over one hour to complete so please plan accordingly.
Applications must be submitted by e-mail by TUESDAY, APRIL 3, 2018. Final selections will be made by U.S. Embassy representatives, and applicants will be notified by e-mail.
Please e-mail applications to: IRCBerlin@state.gov
W2W 2018 will take place from Thursday, July 19, 2018 through Saturday, July 28, 2018. July 19th and July 28th are considered travel days. NOTE: International participants may begin their travel to Boston as early as July 17th.
The conference will include: team-building activities; seminars and workshops with prominent leaders doing important work in government, media, business, science and technology, and non-profit; leadership development exercises and skill-building; outreach events with other youth and community leaders; and cultural activities. Participants are required to take part in all conference activities.
If you would like to see a copy of the previous year’s schedule, please go to our website, www.EPWomen2Women.org.
If you are coming from outside the United States…
- Empower Peace will provide all participants with round-trip transportation from an airport near their home to Logan International Airport. All participants will be fully responsible for transportation to and from the airport in their home country.
- Transportation for all conference activities will be arranged through Empower Peace.
- Empower Peace WILL NOT accommodate any requests to extend a participant’s stay in Boston or the United States. All participants must depart Boston on their scheduled flight from Logan International Airport.
- Empower Peace will greet all participants at Logan International Airport and bring them to the conference.
- All participants will be housed in dorms at Simmons College in Boston, Massachusetts, USA during the entire conference. Simmons College is approximately 7 miles (about 11 km) from Logan International Airport. (Approximately 20 minutes drive)
- Students will have at least one roommate from another delegation/country. We do not take roommate requests.
- Students are not allowed to switch roommates or rooms.
- Students will be living in an area shared by other Wheelock College students (non-conference participants).
- Bathrooms are shared.
- Participants will be living in an all-female dorm with only Empower Peace participants and staff.
- Participants are expected to abide by all Empower Peace and Simmons College dorm rules. Rules will be provided in check-in materials.
- Empower Peace will provide all meals during the conference.
- Halal food will be available on a limited basis. We will do our best to accommodate your needs. Please indicate if you require Halal or kosher food. Please indicate if you have any food allergies (ie. gluten, nuts, etc.) in the application.
Empower Peace will provide all international participants with basic travel/health coverage. IMPORTANT: Participants will be responsible for any charges/co-pays associated with a medical visit. Coverage will begin on the day they begin travel to the United States and will end on the day they return home.
All costs (international/domestic travel, program fee, and per diem) will be covered by the U.S. Embassy.